Dance World Cup. (DWC)

balletbean

I’m not sure who on this forum is aware of the ‘DWC’ currently taking place in Sitges near Barcelona. 5000 dancers from 40+ countries across the world taking part. Teams from England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are involved . Whilst the Comp covers all Genres there is obviously ballet for all age groups (6yrs up to 25) . The best thing is the Comp is streamed live on the Internet. With so many competitors across all age groups it’s difficult to name the day and time the ballet classes are but they are available to watch later on if you miss them. The schedule is also available on the site with the codes for each class. Just log on to ‘club wow’ and have a look. The standard is incredibly high as you would imagine for an international comp but the youngsters from Portugal competing in the ballet classes are ones to look out for . Enjoy. 🙆‍♀️🙆🏻‍♂️

• Like 3

We've been watching some of this as we know some of the older girls who are there. The ballet sections seem to start today - in the last few years the standard of the ballet has been pretty mixed but as above there have been a few really lovely dancers from Portugal in particular. 

The standard in the jazz/lyrical/contemporary sections has been very high so far. There's also been a bit of tap and song and dance (which isn't really my thing) but some of the tap looked very good. 

The last few days have been the mini and children sections and the older sections (14 plus) run over the next few days. 

My daughter is representing Team England with a ballet solo which she will dance on Friday evening.  We fly out on Wednesday for a couple of days of sun and relaxation.  I agree the portagese clasisical dancers are amazing.  Our dance school has so far won 3 gold medals and a silver for groups and a solo.

• Like 8

Phenomenal results in the ballet "Reportoire" class today for the 12-13 girls en pointe. 

Germany 100% Gold Medal La Fille Mal Gardee

Portugal 100% Gold Medal Giselle

Portugal 100% Gold Medal Esmeralda

Portugal 94.5% Silver Talisman

Germany 94.5% Silver Esmeralda

Spain 92% Bronze La Fille Mal Gardee

Germany 92%  Talisman

26 girls competing

After all the years of following DWC I have only ever seen one 100% awarded and that was in the older age group Contemporary. 

On 25/06/2018 at 13:53, Belleballerina said:

My daughter is representing Team England with a ballet solo which she will dance on Friday evening.  We fly out on Wednesday for a couple of days of sun and relaxation.  I agree the portagese clasisical dancers are amazing.  Our dance school has so far won 3 gold medals and a silver for groups and a solo.

Congratulations to your daughters dance school and good luck. 

Is this your first DWC or has your daughter competed before? 

On 24/06/2018 at 21:08, PJW said:

I think it's video auditions judged by a panel.

Yes, All videos are submitted to the Team Manager to be Judged. All countries have different clsoing dates for entrants as many countries hold their own qualifiers in a competition format, like the All England qualifiers. Qualifying mark must be achieved. Only three entries per class per country permitted. So its the 3 highest from across the country. Minis under 9, Children under 14, Juniors under 18 then seniors under 25.  However, a competitor can only enter the max of ?? solos (think it maybe 3). And as many duets/trio, small groups (up to 10) and large groups (up to 40).  So if they qualify in other genres for their solos they have to choose then there is room for others to take their place. It does take a lot of juggyling to organise who is in which class for Team England, Team Scotland, Team Wales and Team Northern Ireland. It seems to work as Team England have consistly been awarded the overall country award for many years.