RAD exams at vocational school

Boogalou

If 16 yr old DD wants to pursue a Diploma or degree down the Dance route rather than the MT route how important is it that the school offers the chance to continue her RAD exams? I've started researching various schools and some mention RAD exams and others don't but does that mean they don't offer them or just that that info isn't on the website?

If dd would like to teach at any stage, Vocational exams (i.e. Intermediate, Advanced etc) would definitely be an advantage for some teaching courses.  It used to be the case that if you wanted to teach RAD, you had to at least have passed RAD Intermediate.  Not sure if that is the case for professional dancers doing the one year teaching course though. 

https://www.royalacademyofdance.org/study/higher-education/higher-education-1/which-programme

Also, I'm sure this has crossed your mind, but do be aware that if a school offers RAD (or any other syllabus) lessons leading to exams, there could be extra cost involved - for exam entry, extra coaching and so on.  

Northern Ballet School in Manchester openly advertise that they offer RAD Adv 1 & 2 for their pupils as part of their timetable. But like Anna mentioned many schools offer exams as an extra so therefore incur additional charges incl trips to RAD HQ to take the exams. More so for those attending the MT colleges but wish to take the exams. (Too few to justify examiners attendance at the colleges).  

• Like 1