The Proms 2018

meadowblythe

Just having a quick flick through the programme for this year.  How do others start?  By date?  Looking for their favourite orchestra/conductor/soloist?  By composer?

I always look at the first day of the summer holidays, as it seems such a treat.  Wedding anniversary, birthdays ...  

Then a couple of favourite conductors

Then orchestra

And irritatinginly there is a whole glorious week when I have already booked a family holiday !!!

• Like 1

I start by checking out any dates I had already heard about on the grapevine, to see who the soloists are.  Also I have a look at who the vocal soloist is for the Last Night, as that could be the difference between my attending and not attending.

Then I just read the rest through from start to finish!

I do wish they'd announce sooner.  I've got two direct clashes with tickets I have already booked and am loth to get rid of.

• Like 1

They do announce extraordinarily late, and I'm not sure that it's really justifiable these days unless the marketing people think it creates more buzz. Or perhaps they need to wait on new commissions to come good :)

I'm not hugely committed to the Proms, so tend to see which artists are appearing and take it from there.

My main thoughts are that Lise Davidsen should be well worth hearing in the Verdi Requiem, and that the line-up for Prom 11 is wasted on Mahler 8!

It seems to me it's got later, too.  I'm sure I remember public booking for the Bolshoi/Kirov taking place after the Proms announcement, which was great, because then I knew exactly which dates I'd be free on.

Check for any favoured artists/orchestras, then pretty much go through from beginning to end (and usually curse because something is bound to clash with Russian ballet - but not this year!).  After that, vaguely register that there seems to be a lot of composer X this year - possibly :)