Importance of Summer Schools

Balletmummy28

How important are Summer schools and dance training during the school holidays please? My dd is 9 and very serious about ballet and a future in dance. She is an Elmhurst and RBS JA and trains about 7 hours per week but obviously when the holidays come round all of that stops.  I have looked into summer schools for her but they are all so expensive and she is also nervous about being away from home on her own which I can totally understand. I know she is still young but I worry that she will fall behind her peers if we don’t do anything during the holidays and particularly as she will be in Y6 next year and likely to be auditioning for vocational schools.

Hi I don't think that any of the residential summer schools will take a 9-yr old, with the possible exception of the RAD. Are you able to say which part of the country you live in?

The advantages of doing summer schools, holiday courses etc include the fact that, as you have already realised, they keep things going over the long summer break. That can be achieved in other ways though - does her own school do anything over the summer or is there an option for private lessons? I think the benefits go beyond that though. There's benefit from being taught by different teachers who may see things differently, offer corrections differently and so on, and benefits from dancing with different students in different locations. That's good for any young dancer, but particularly in the run up to auditions it's good experience. Being used to dancing in unfamiliar place with unfamiliar people will be a help at auditions. Summer schools don't have to be residential - in fact many don't offer the option - and there are other options like doing a performance based project such as EYB if you are near enough to any of this year's venues.

That said, if she is seriously considering vocational school, then I think there's something to be said for trying out a residential summer school before hand as it at least gives a vague idea of what living away from home is like. You say she's 9, but I presume she will be 10 by summer if she is going into Year 6 in September? I think there are some residential summer schools that start at that age but I'm not certain. Looking at it pragmatically, it would only be just over a year from a summer school this year to leaving home if she were successful in gaining a place. Going away to school is a huge step, even for older students, and it's a lot for year 7s and their families to deal with. Personally, I would encourage her to try a residential course before she auditions as that will give you all some idea of whether she would like it or not. 

• Like 2

If she’s yr5 now (yr6 next yr) and still 9, when will she be 10? 

I know it’s too late now but RBS take from yr5. My dd was 10 the week before she did RBS SS. She was lucky to get a place that year (only 1 in her JA class) and we did it to see how she coped away from home for a week knowing that auditions would be the following year. That way you will know how much she really wants it! 

YBSS occasionally take 9yr olds, and also Opes I think! Both of which have fabulous pastoral care in place. 

I wouldn’t worry about not doing anything in the hols at this age as there’s an awful lot of kids that don’t do anything in the hols, but don’t over do it either as she does need a break from dance too!

• Like 3

I think Pups_mum has really covered everything but I just wanted to add that dd went to her first summer residential when she was going into year 6 and enjoyed every minute if it. It was beneficial to her in so many ways. Aside from the wonderful teaching she received it gave her so much confidence & independence. I am pretty sure Opes takes from 9 & if she's going to be 10 before the summer it might be worth giving Elmhurst a call as they accepted my dd at 10, though she was only a few months off 11 at the summer school. It was a nice one to start with because it's shorter at only 3 days though my dd did come away wishing it was longer which seemed to be the general consensus.

Thanks for the replies.  She is young in her year group so not 10 until August.  We have already applied to RBS summer school but to be honest I was more concerned about the expense of it all and if it was really necessary at this age.  Looks like we need to save up and give one of them a go though! I will look at YBSS and OPES. Thanks :)

• Like 2

I don't think you should consider it essential - I'm sure many children have t done summer schools at this age. But there are some advantages. Don't beat yourself up if you can't manage it this year though - there are many roads to Rome, and rest and relaxation are also important.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Balletmummy28 said:

Thanks for the replies.  She is young in her year group so not 10 until August.  We have already applied to RBS summer school but to be honest I was more concerned about the expense of it all and if it was really necessary at this age.  Looks like we need to save up and give one of them a go though! I will look at YBSS and OPES. Thanks :)

It's definitely not essential so don't worry. If you are concerned about having no dance over the summer or falling behind her peers what about a couple of privates with her favourite teacher that would keep her ticking over without incurring the expense of a summer school

• Like 3

Summer school is certainly not essential at that age but if you did want to dip your toes in the water, perhaps have a look at the summer courses offered by Ballet Cymru. They take dancers from aged 10. Its not residential - so not sure if you are close enough to drive - we used to stay in a Travelodge and it was still considerably cheaper than most of the residential schools. My DDs never actually attended course 1 but started going aged 12. The standard was always high and they are taught by dancers from the ballet company itself . Very friendly organisation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Balletmummy28 said:

Just a point of reference from a parents perspective. If you do decide to send your DD to a SS this year, good luck. Once she's started I can guarantee your darling DD will be hooked and you will have committed yourself to the annual expense for many years to come! lol. 

It really is what ever is right for you and your family, now and future plans. 

I would consider for this summer, one closer to home workshop type events. One day events or week long but that she can return home every night then build up or "work towards" as a birthday present, for a week long/or longer full board SS. 

Fantastic experience. My DD didn't attend her first one until she had just turned 14 (July birthday). Having never even taken part in a local summer workshop. 

This year at 15 she was accepted at two SS's then took part in a local summer workshop of all round genres (MT). Just the experience saw a vast improvement in her confidence in herself and her abilites. Made some fantastic friends who she met on the audition circut for full time places. Which she was successful.

• Like 1

I would add that if you are a fan of this board - and it was a lifesaver for me with no dance background - there is a tendency to think that "everyone" is doing summer school/intensive/whatever.

Whilst summer school is a great opportunity to try things out, experience new styles etc the majority of students won't do them.  And given how many birthday parties/social events dancers tend to miss out on, it's a great time to rebuild links in the wider world.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, balletbean said:

Just a point of reference from a parents perspective. If you do decide to send your DD to a SS this year, good luck. Once she's started I can guarantee your darling DD will be hooked and you will have committed yourself to the annual expense for many years to come! lol.

Not necessarily....depends on the student. My DD always had a bit of a "take it or leave it" attitude to summer schools. She did a few different ones when she was younger and liked some more than others but there was never a real imperative to do one every year.  When she was younger it certainly confirmed her decision  that she didn't want to audition for a full time lower school. She preferred things like EYB to residential summer schools.

Since she's been  in full time training she hasn't done any holiday courses. She values the down time and I value the fact she's used the time to earn some money lol! 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mnemo said:

Hi I don't think that any of the residential summer schools will take a 9-yr old, with the possible exception of the RAD. Are you able to say which part of the country you live in?

York Dance Scholars (formally Yorkshire Ballet Scholarship Centre) is a very child friendly summer school and take children from age 9 years. It is 3 nights/4 days with wonderful teachers, fun activities( including swimming) and a great presentation in the theatre for parents on the last day.

https://www.yorkshireballetscholarshipcentre.com/

• Like 1