Veal

loveclassics

On 06/12/2017 at 11:34, Sim said:

No-one has mentioned the fact that many audience members are also distracted and disturbed by the sound of rustling and the smell of food when they are trying to immerse themselves in the play, ballet, opera or whatever.

But it's not always the fault of the audience.  When the National Theatre staged one of Eduardo de Filippo's plays (I think it was Friday, Saturday, Sunday) the theatre was filled by the wonderful smell of an amazing veal dish Joan Plowright cooked on stage.  It was so successful that the NT was inundated with requests for the recipe.

I still get hungry thinking about it!

Linda

• Like 3

Very little veal is produced in the UK - most of the male calves which are a 'by-product' of the dairy industry are either destroyed early on, or exported live to be reared elsewhere. A good friend of mine raises beef cattle, and he told me this. Several years ago as part of a course I was on, I visited a farm where they raised veal calves. Even when they are looked after humanely it is no life for them.

You will not get me eating veal under any circumstances - I would rather starve.

• Like 2

This is probably going a bit(!) off-topic for this particular thread, however, as veal is an unavoidable by-product of the dairy industry, my view is that if one is happy enough with the ethics of the dairy industry to consume milk, one should be equally happy to eat humanely-produced veal.  Not that I can recall the last time I did.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, RuthE said:

one should be equally happy to eat humanely-produced veal.  

That's the problem, it isn't humanely-produced. Humanely destroying unwanted calves is one thing, keeping them for months in the conditions used for veal production is something else entirely (especially as most of that is not done in the UK where we can keep an eye on it).

11 minutes ago, taxi4ballet said:

... (especially as most of that is not done in the UK where we can keep an eye on it).

Sorry for continuing this off topic branch... but! I'm inclined to see that as an argument for eating more UK-reared veal, not less, as it would reduce the chances of the calves having to be exported.  Here's another link on the subject: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/may/21/veal-recipes-hugh-fearnley-whittingstall

I'll stop now :)

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/15/2017 at 19:31, Fonty said:

I would never eat veal abroad.  But I can't see the difference between eating rose veal reared in the UK, and lamb.  

exactly 

IIRC the defintions for lamb / hogatt / mutton are  age at slaughter , Lamb <one year , Hoggatt <2 years, mutton over 2 years .,

On 1/15/2018 at 10:21, Fonty said:

Does it spend its whole life in a barn?  The programme I saw, the calves were raised in the same way as adult cattle.

https://www.ciwf.org.uk/farm-animals/cows/veal-calves/#higherwelfare

suggests  a sort of   accomodation along the lines of  at worst an equivalent to  'barn  egg'  accomodation for chickens  through to a true freerange setup