John Noakes RIP

alison

On 5/29/2017 at 14:10, alison said:

The BBC reports that former Blue Peter presenter John Noakes has died at the age of 83: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40083025

Part of my childhood has gone with him :(

Mine too. He really was an amazing person. So sad about the Alzheimer's. Reading the obituaries and watching the clips (particularly the one with John and the elephant) has brought back such warm memories of a completely different era.  I think that the Guardian article which Janet mentioned is right on the ball:  "It is hard to explain the significance of Blue Peter during the golden age in which Noakes was its lord of misrule. There were only three TV stations and no dedicated children’s network, so Blue Peter was culturally central to its viewers in a way no kids’ TV show could be now." 

Do you remember collecting all those milk bottle tops, getting all tangled up in that sticky backed plastic, not quite understanding why neither Val, John nor Pete could come to your birthday party, but over the moon that they sent you a Blue Peter badge for that dreadful drawing you did on the invitation...   

• Like 6