Can anyone offer some help to a complete novice please? 

I am looking to book seats at the Royal Albert hall but have found the options very confusing. Can anyone explain the differences I the areas, what is the loggia, raising circle grand circle etc. Can anyone recommend where is the best place to sit to watch a ballet? Generally when I go to the theatre I prefer not to be too far forward, don't want to feel like I'm looking up at the dancers feet, but I have no idea what would be considered a good seat/ good view for watching ballet. TIA

Hello, Bex does ballet, and welcome to the forum.  I've added a "Royal Albert Hall" tag to your post: if you click on it, you'll find other discussions relating to the RAH which may be of help, although they mostly relate to English National Ballet's "in the round" performances - I'm assuming you're asking because of BRB's Nutcracker?  (You might be best reading the thread about Carlos Acosta's farewell, which did at least use a stage layout).

Anyway, the areas you mention are the various tiers of the hall: the loggia boxes are just behind the raised side stalls seats (i.e. the seats not in the flat central section), and the other two, whatever they are called, are the tiers above them, I think.  I keep losing track of what everything's being called because it seems to change from time to time!  I think it's last century since I actually sat there and watched a normal stage performance, so I'm not best placed to advise.  You need to be aware that all the boxes have movable chairs or bar-stool-like seats, and that if you aren't allocated the seats in the front row you may suffer slightly, depending on which box you're in.  The seats in the side stalls swivel so that you can adjust your position relative to the stage: I'm not sure if the ones in the centre do as well.  I think I'd probably be most tempted by the seats towards the back of the side stalls, or the loggia boxes, but wait and see what others with more experience say.

If you go on the RAH website to book - which I assume you haven't as yet - you'll be able to get a photo with the various areas marked on it, and if you actually get as far as booking have a look at the "view from the seat" option - photos of the performance area from various different seats throughout the building.  That should be of help. 

Good luck!

Mmm, I find the RAH really confusing and it's not my favourite venue by a long way.  I'd actually recommend being closer to the stage than you might normally do, so would recommend the stalls or the loggia boxes.  You won't be looking at the dancers feet as there is no seat which is below the level of the stage as in a normal theatre.  I've seen ballet in the round there on several occasions and if you are in the stalls you are so close you could be staring at them from 3 feet away. So, slightly further back provides a better perspective but don't go too high. 

It can also get very hot in the RAH so be prepared with bottles of water.     

8 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

You won't be looking at the dancers feet as there is no seat which is below the level of the stage as in a normal theatre.  

I agree that this is the case with 'in the round' productions but, for the BRB Nutcracker, seats are being sold in the Arena.  I would imagine that the dancers' feet would not be visible from the front few rows of the Arena.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aileen said:

Are the seats in the arena going to be raked then? 

As far as I know, the Arena seats are never raked.  I only mentioned the first few rows as I thought it was possible that those who were further away would be more likely to be able to see the dancers' feet.  

Thank you everyone for your replies, and Alison, thank you for the welcome! Yes, you are right, I am asking because of the BRB nutcracker. Armed with your very helpful tips I phoned the box office and asked the lady on the phone, if you were going, where would you want to sit and she recommended the stall, a few rows back. Apparently there will be seating in the arena and I thought she said it would be racked but I may have confused that with the stalls. Anyway, I went with her suggestion for what she said were the best available, so I'm sure it will be lovely, and I'm sure I won't even be focus sing on the amount of money I've spent ( ahemmm, cough, cough ) as I enjoy the production! Thank you for your help 

Edited by Bex does ballet
  • Like 2