Why aren't soft blocks sold already broken in?

Clarkd3

Surely it's a matter of 'breaking them in '  being  different for each dancer  in just how  broken in is  'ready' ... Pointes are a funny  item  in that i cant really think of any other product  that  is  is not only 'some assembly required'  but  requires you to source your own bits to do this ...  ( vs.  something you make up from components ).

Edited by mph

Isn't the idea that they are hard to mimic pointe shoes? I've never worn them but do no breaking in with pointe shoes!

AIUI  they have  a couple of purposes 

1. get people back used to full soles  after having been 'allowed' split soles 

2. get used to the toe box   -  if you've never worn pointes or soft blocks have you ever worn steel toecaps shoes / boots and compare that  to  ordinary shoes / boots,  the centre of gravity and 'feel' moves  a bit ... 

the fact they look  like pointes and therefore are 'pretty' is a side effect ...

Dd de-shanks old pointe shoes and uses those as soft blocks, so they are already broken in. It’s time-consuming, but she seems to think it’s worth it. 

probably worth the  time  spent  to remove the shanks  and make good vs the cost of buying and then breaking in   new  demis ... 

• Like 1

I can't honestly say I dont feel any different dancing in split sole or full sole. I can see why soft pointes are used as the precursor to doing the entire class in pointe shoes as the balance etc is different. I would have thought that being really soft would negate some of the benefit though, although would be comfier!

Edited by Moomin

I can't honestly say I dont feel any different dancing in split sole or full sole.

i think it will depend on the shape of your foot and  to some extent the  brand  of shoes ,  i find that it  feels like my  big toes are sliding off the soles in the pair of full sole soft shoes i have compared to split soles ...  i'm hot sure how much of the idfference is psychological and  you can;t really blind people to it  ( i suppose you could  make a split sole shoe with extra material in the sole to make the sole behave more like a full sole)

We've had no luck with de-shanking pointe shoes, they always end up too big or so messy in the inside that they're too uncomfortable to wear! I do get that every dancer has a different requirement for the degree of softness etc but think the manufacturers could sell a soft block shoe with options of differing softness! We've just come home from our local shop with beautiful new shoes and husband thinks dd has lost the plot attacking them!!! Why do shoes give up when you're weeks away from important events too!

• Like 1

The problem we found with deshanking old pointe shoes is that they're too big....

We put a pair of insoles in after deshanking, which also helps them be a bit more comfortable. But yes, DD ended up having to put her Ouch Pouches back on as the box was so hard!

• Like 1

We put a pair of insoles in after deshanking, which also helps them be a bit more comfortable. But yes, DD ended up having to put her Ouch Pouches back on as the box was so hard!

Dd also puts an insole in, and sometimes wears thin trainer socks with them.