The Power of Persuasion!

ArucariaBallerina

Have you considered an online course?

There's an Australian one called Brunswick School of Dance. I have had a look at their promo video before and it looks good. Also it's an RAD syllabus, which is great for technique (we were advised to send DD to an RAD school by a friend who trained with RBS years ago, as that was the same advice her parents were given when she was a child-I'm not knocking other syllabi, just giving my own experience :-)).

I don't know anything about the cost of this Australian one, by the way, but as you have a barre at home, and presumably a little bit of space, this might suit you. You won't need to factor in travel time, which should take less time out from academic study, and keep Mum and Dad happy. 

Good luck!

nothing but nothing beats  in the same room  experienced eyes and hands on correction where needed  in the performance of psycho-motor tasks

• 1 month later...

A quick update..... I don't get into RBS (I knew it inside) and had a talk with my dance teacher. I'm now doing Grade 5 x 45 mins, Advanced 1 x 45 mins, Pointe x 45 mins and a private lesson at about Intermediate level x 45 mins. I am definitely auditioning for associates (Elmhurst, Moorland, Cechetti and Ballet West) but parents say full time is out of he question in terms of money and effort. Dance teacher says it is the quality rather than the quantity of classes that matter (!) but of o wanted to attend the other dance school as well, I could, but she though I would not get much from it! She said it would be slow syllabus work, like I am getting here, and might just confuse me as the schools work at different syllabi! She said what I really need is non-syllabus training, and plenty of good Easter and Summer schools, which my parents say yes to thankfully! I'm going to prove o can do it!

She did say that I had the right physique (other than being tiny for my age) and the right mental attributes, as I practice hard every day for at least an hour and a half. And she told me that i was a beautiful dancer, and stood in good stead for becoming a professional one day (I almost cried when she told me this!) I hope I am not bragging, as I know I am a very long way off, and all I need to do now is work to the bone and improve technique

• Like 2

Im glad something positive is happening for you. One associate scheme you could also consider is the RAD Associates. It is not by audition but is good non syllabus classes. They are held one sunday a month in Birmingham and the commitment is 4 sessions at a time.  Also in Birmingham you can keep an eye out for classes and workshops run by Birmingham Royal Ballet under their insight day program.  Their day workshops are normally a mixture of non syllabus, repertoire and a behind the scenes/make up/costume section although my DD did attend one which was specifically for pointe.

Auditioning for a place at 16, I would not rule out looking at other schools other than just RBS. You can do A levels alongside at Elmhurst, Tring, Hammond and Central School of Ballet. Tring in particular is known for having a wide choice of subjects (compared to the others) , good results and you are able to take 3 A levels. Something to perhaps consider if your parents want you to keep academic options open further down the line.

Your ballet teacher sounds good and sensible - keep going, the journey is long but as long as it makes you happy then you are on the right path. I think your parents are wise and still enabling you to follow your passion.

• Like 2