ROH Friday Rush - advice?

Today is another time I have missed out on getting tickets in the ROH Friday Rush. At least in the old days one could make a commitment and start queuing really early to be certain of getting in.

There I was, dead on 1pm, but by the time I had clicked through the various online menus and achieved the point where I could select Friday Rush seats, it was 1.02pm and everything had gone.

I wonder if anyone with better understanding can offer any tips (or is it just a matter of having a faster internet connection or faster fingers)?

Edited by Geoff

The difference between booking on my iPad at home or my work computer is huge, so having a decent connection and a device that works well with the ROH site helps (selecting seats sometimes turns unresponsive on my iPad, never on the laptop or work machine).

I just fought my way through the Friday Rush across the river to get a Hedda Gabler ticket, which also starts at 1pm - wish these things could be spread out.

• Like 1

There I was, dead on 1pm, but by the time I had clicked through the various online menus and achieved the point where I could select Friday Rush seats, it was 1.02pm and everything had gone.

What was your starting point? I've made the mistake of going to the 'What's On' page rather than the ROH home page (or landing page as they call it) which is where one finds the link to the Friday Rush tickets.

Copy and paste the selling page, then paste it into a few open website pages and refreshing, from 12:57 rather than 1pm. People generally switch these things on, rather than by automatic timing, it pays as with usual day tickets to be waiting before the gates before the doors open :)

If I ever take use of this function I will post my advice. I know that La Scala also uses the same system, and waiting before the time works well there.

• Like 1

What was your starting point? I've made the mistake of going to the 'What's On' page rather than the ROH home page (or landing page as they call it) which is where one finds the link to the Friday Rush tickets.

Oh really?  The one time I tried it, I thought I went in via the event page.

Do not assume that if you can't see tickets by 1:02, everything has gone. It can take several minutes for them even to show up, if the system is playing up at their end. Once you are on the show page, keep refreshing for several minutes and don't give up. While I scored my favourite ticket for something last week at about 1:02, there was one before Christmas when I was refreshing for ten minutes before the tickets even appeared.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Bumping this up as I have had mixed experiences with Friday Rush in the interim, as the ROH has tried various "upgrades" to the website.

Which page do people find works best, the actual page for the performance one is interested in?

Or the "count down" general Friday Rush page, ie 

https://www.roh.org.uk/events/friday-rush

Any comments on how to do at least as well as those with (for example) access to superfast work computers would be most welcome. 

3 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Bumping this up as I have had mixed experiences with Friday Rush in the interim, as the ROH has tried various "upgrades" to the website.

Which page do people find works best, the actual page for the performance one is interested in?

Or the "count down" general Friday Rush page, ie 

https://www.roh.org.uk/events/friday-rush

Any comments on how to do at least as well as those with (for example) access to superfast work computers would be most welcome. 

At a point at which the performance for which you need a ticket is not sold out, bookmark the page that gets you straight into the seating plan.

Refresh at 1pm sharp.  It'll still boot you out into the queue, but once you reach your turn, you'll get straight back into that page without having to lose time to other buyers by clicking through from elsewhere.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RuthE said:

Did you manage to get what you needed, Geoff?

Well Ruth, the experience definitely showed at least one of two things to be true:-

i/ Either the website is still dodgy and prone to computer glitches

ii/ Or procedures which we think are automated are in fact - at least in part - down to human beings clicking buttons, and so prone to human error.

I followed your advice and got in early in the queue - in the low 40s - and then on to the "choosing seats" page, which was a good start, thank you! However from then on all was weird:

* They said Friday Rush tickets had been released

* But no tickets - except the few expensive seats previously on sale - were showing, however many times I refreshed, went round the loop of the site again, logged off and on, etc

* Until about ten minutes in, when some Balcony Standing and Rear Amphitheatre suddenly appeared (for all the world as if someone had forgotten to click something and just went, oh dear let's release these)

* However none of the Stalls Circle seats ever appeared (I waited until 1.45pm) so presumably they all went to those even earlier in the queue than me

What do people think? Any further advice? 

I suspect human error. Many of us have seen large numbers of tickets suddenly appearing an hour or more into Friends or General booking - too many at once for them all to be because people have removed them from their baskets.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alison said:

Well, I got in very early (I'm assuming we're talking tomorrow's matinee) and there were no Balcony row D standing and barely any of those stalls circle seats either.

That is not really the situation I am describing: one gets in quickly to find none of the Rush tickets available (rather than “barely any”) but then, ten minutes later, a whole lot appear. It’s a mystery. 

28 minutes ago, Geoff said:

That is not really the situation I am describing: one gets in quickly to find none of the Rush tickets available (rather than “barely any”) but then, ten minutes later, a whole lot appear. It’s a mystery. 

I think your possibilities i/ or ii/ above do apply, Geoff. I booked a Friday Rush ticket OK the previous week, because the available seats (though already dwindling by the time I got there) appeared immediately, which is clearly what is supposed to happen... Perhaps you could ask the ROH about your experience so they can explain what happened?

Edited by bridiem
Sentence added
  • Like 1