Wayne McGregor Desert Island Discs

Well worth a listen - repeat on Friday. Some similarities with the Katie Razzall Newsnight interview. Can't quite dislodge the image of a 5 year old Wayne McGregor enjoying his English country dancing. Both Kirsty Young and Katie Razzall were on good form. Desert Island Discs' format never ceases to enthrall me.

Have to say that both Desert Island Discs and Newsnight were more insightful than Friday's ROH Insight which in my opinion was far too much of a love in and would have been much better with much more rehearsal dancing.

Edited by JohnS

I *knew* I was supposed to be listening to DID sometime recently :(  Oh well, at least I can get at iPlayer for the next couple of days (although actually there's a downloadable podcast as well).

Can't quite dislodge the image of a 5 year old Wayne McGregor enjoying his English country dancing.

:)  Trouble is, I keep trying to imagine him shaven-headed.

I see what you mean about the shortage of dancing in the insight evening - but then I've also complained about other insights which have been little *more* than glorified rehearsals.  It must be difficult to get the balance right, and in this case I suspect they were trying to aim it more broadly than simple at the usual ballet fans.

I thought he came across really sympathetically and seemed easy to talk to and revealed great generosity in his approach to Art and Dance ....not at all pretentious. I was interested to hear he had studied with Jose Limon .....as I love his style of contemporary...to do at any rate .....and I don't know why I was surprised at that somehow. And who knows we may have lost him to ballroom dancing if his teacher had not been against competitions!!

I hardly knew any of his music choices though except for the Schubert.....love all his music anyway.....and the send in the clowns piece( sorry but Shirley Bassey is my favourite singer for that song) and the Roberta Flack no ( whenever I see your face) sung by George Michael was interesting as didn't know he had a recording of this and it was a very heartfelt rendition.

• Like 3