photos-what are they looking at ?

leotardmum

Uploading photos for RBS summer school and ballet school auditions tips please!

what exactly are they scrutinising ?

I hear short body-long legs a lot....I cant adjust body proportions  sadly of my daughter

small heads is another thing I hear but how small and what about the kids growing....lol

big feet vs small feet ??? as my poor childs 9 year old feet have suddenly grown on her thin legs and I suspect with a lot of kids if you get them in a growth spurt etc they can all look a bit out of proportion .......

if I compare my childs shape to even a year ago it looks different ....

for 9 year olds in particular is there anything else I can help her with /ensure we are getting in the photo shoot ?

colour of leotard/ position of bun/ backdrop/ to smile or not to smile....

or is it really just the appeal of the child ?

how do you know at 9 if a child has the right body ina photo especially before any breast or hip growth or weight gain of puberty - I find this a really interesting area on how they 'look' at children and select them .....

I hate to talk 'body image' but i know its obviously looked at and just wonder how fair a photo can be .....

any tips no matter how simple greatly appreciated ?xxxxxxxxxx

• Like 1

Here's an earlier thread that may contain some useful information:

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/2996-summer-school-photos/?hl=%26quot%3Baudition+photographs%26quot%3B#entry34841

And another:

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/2956-audition-photographs/?hl=%22audition+photographs%22

Additionally if you use the search facilities lots of other threads mention photos.  If you've time it may be worth a look.

Leotardmum it's all very grey tbh.

Firstly RB SS is one of the most difficult to get into (mostly take overseas) so if your dd really wants to do a SS next year I would recommend applying elsewhere also.

You are absolutely correct that you cannot predict the build of a child after puberty. Body shape tends to be less of an issue for SS (RBS excepted). In terms of getting funding for lower school places for MDS funding build is important. Hammond have school bursaries which may be allocated differently.

You're best spending some time reading some threads as suggested by Janet as there's loads of info on here. As a Mum you have to accept you have little control I'm afraid! Good luck!

Agree with other posts, but just wanted to add that according to Misty Copeland, big feet are good! I think it's because with a stretched foot, the leg appears longer. My DD is the same height as a classmate but en pointe she is shorter because of having smaller feet.

And there's no point sweating about photos. They know what they are looking for and you can't do any more than make them as flattering as possible (without Photoshop). Good luck!

• Like 3

Sorry, just saw you also mentioned 'bun position'! Ha! The 'classical bun' is designed to enhance the line of the neck, so you draw an imaginary line from the jawline up past the ears, that should lead to the 'crown' and best spot for the bun. But again, it's just not worth sweating about!