Ballet Theatre UK Romeo and juliet

Despite wondering how the Ballet Theatre UK were going to scale down Romeo and Juliet to an hour and a half, and a cast of 14, I thoroughly enjoyed this young company's production of R and J this evening in Taunton. Amazing. The audience were engrossed, and the woman behind me blubbed for much of the second half. All the cast were good, but Romeo was outstanding, with Mercutio not far behind. Loved it. Looking forward to Giselle in the spring.

Edited by cavycapers
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

I saw Ballet Theatre UK's Romeo and Juliet last night in Chesterfield. It was a really enjoyable performance with excellent dancing from the whole cast and clever choreography to accommodate small stages, including fantastic pdd for the star crossed lovers and a large dancing part for Lady Capulet. Simple scenery and taped music of course but great costumes and the emotion really shone through from all the dancers; I was really drawn into the story and shed a few tears at the end. They even managed a full-on sword fight which was excellently accomplished: I always get nervous with swords when there is no orchestra pit in between me and the stage, ever since, many years ago I had a sword land right in the (thankfully empty) seat next to me in the front row after it slipped out of the dancer's hand!!

So, I'm really happy to have seen this company for the first time and I'm am really impressed with the standard of the dancing and overall production. I've already booked several more of their shows this season including another R&J tonight in Leicester and also for their Giselle and Alice in the next few months.

Chesterfield is one of those places I'd never actually been to until last night, just passed through on a train north. Shame as it is clearly fantastic with lots of medieval buildings. Their delightfully named Pomegranate Theatre is a gorgeous small theatre, with friendly staff, cheap bar, great sight lines from my seat in Row H stalls and literally round the corner from the train station. Plus I got some photos of the famous crooked spire all lit up at night which looked so pretty.

So a great night out and Ballet Theatre UK are definitely worth seeing if coming to a venue near you!! I'm looking forward to another R&J tonight in Leicester.  :)  :D

Edited by nottsballetlover
  • Like 5

I am very glad you enjoyed the performance, nottsballetlover, as I hope to attend the same show in Wakefield tomorrow evening.

I find the leaning and twisted tower of the parish church to be the most fascinating feature of Chesterfield. Its local authority has recently been in the news in this part of the world because it is the subject of litigation between Derbyshire County Council and the South Yorkshire metropolitan boroughs over whether it should be allowed to join a new combined authority for the Sheffield city region to which the government proposes to delegate substantial powers.  

I have seen several performances by Ballet Theatre UK - most recently Pinnochio in Rotherham in the spring which I reviewed in my blog - and admired their young dancers. However, I am aware that they have lost at three of those dancers and it is not clear whether they have replaced them because the "Dancers" page of their website is blank.

My only complaint about this company is that they never print cast lists,  In the past, Hfbrew has given me the names of the cast but I surmise that she will no longer be able to supply me with that information.   I met Christopher Moore at Move It last yer and begged him to spare a thought for the poor reviewer.   He assured me that he would distribute cast lists but I had to pin Mr Moore's father into a corner when the company visited Rotherham in order to learn the names of the dancers.

My review of the Wakefield performance of Romeo & Juliet will appear in Terpsichore on Sunday.

• Like 2

I am very glad you enjoyed the performance, nottsballetlover, as I hope to attend the same show in Wakefield tomorrow evening.

I find the leaning and twisted tower of the parish church to be the most fascinating feature of Chesterfield. Its local authority has recently been in the news in this part of the world because it is the subject of litigation between Derbyshire County Council and the South Yorkshire metropolitan boroughs over whether it should be allowed to join a new combined authority for the Sheffield city region to which the government proposes to delegate substantial powers.  

I have seen several performances by Ballet Theatre UK - most recently Pinnochio in Rotherham in the spring which I reviewed in my blog - and admired their young dancers. However, I am aware that they have lost at three of those dancers and it is not clear whether they have replaced them because the "Dancers" page of their website is blank.

My only complaint about this company is that they never print cast lists,  In the past, Hfbrew has given me the names of the cast but I surmise that she will no longer be able to supply me with that information.   I met Christopher Moore at Move It last yer and begged him to spare a thought for the poor reviewer.   He assured me that he would distribute cast lists but I had to pin Mr Moore's father into a corner when the company visited Rotherham in order to learn the names of the dancers.

My review of the Wakefield performance of Romeo & Juliet will appear in Terpsichore on Sunday.

You are right,I sadly can't help with casts anymore now my son has moved on (of his own accord!) At least I can still see his photo on the website but it's not exactly helpful to anyone else!

So glad that Nottsballetlover enjoyed the performance of this fine company though. Shame you never saw my ds, he was rather good, although I would say that!

• Like 4

So glad that Nottsballetlover enjoyed the performance of this fine company though. Shame you never saw my ds, he was rather good, although I would say that!

I can say that David Brewer is rather good with absolute impartiality and independence and have done so on more than one occasion.   I wish him well in his new career.

Sim, I think Christopher Moore is likely to be the choreographer.   He has done all the other ballets by that company which I have seen.   However, that information will be in my review in Terpsichore tomorrow.

• Like 5