London Children's Ballet 2016/17

Flora11

Hello all! Does anyone know when the new LCB production and audition details will go on the website. We have been checking daily recently and thought it had been announced earlier in previous years. Any information would be fab!

The teachers at the dance school did know it was LLF to be fair in early July. Come to think of it I think it might have been another dance related thing that I found out about when on hols in August! Sorry Flora11!

• 4 weeks later...

Details for 2017 are now up on the LCB website.

It's a different format this year - auditions in Oct/Nov for a cast of 24 to launch a 30 minute version of the Secret Garden, at the Lyric Theatre Hammersmith. This production will then be taken nationally in partnership with ballet schools, opening it up to more children, going into Care Homes, SEN schools, etc.

2018 will go back to the old format of a full scale production in the West End.

Audition applications for the Lyric production are open and they're also asking for teachers with particular interest in partnering with LCB to get in touch.

Link here:

http://www.londonchildrensballet.com/current-season/auditions/

Edited by Balletmumealing
  • Like 3

Yes, I agree that there will still be a lot of children competing for only 24 places!

It seemed to me that the ' Tours' would be an even bigger part of the programme this year, though I wasn't clear how the children for these would be selected. It sounds as if they're looking for partner dance schools/teachers to work with LCB to take the choreography into their local area but I could have got that wrong!!

Edited by Balletmumealing

I wonder if they are still going to organise the tours that smaller groups of children took part in that got through to the final round of auditions ;)

I'm wondering this too.

This is the first year my dd is old enough to audition and she has been waiting 3 years to be able to! She is disappointed that with the reduced cast size there is even less chance of a successful audition.  But am I the only one thinking all that rehearsing for a 30 minute performance at the end of it all? We're not London-based so don't think I'd consider travelling to watch a 30 minute show.

LCB is definitely a worth while experience. My DD has taken part in main company for last three years and is now sadly too old to audition this year. We weren't London based and it was a whole family commitment to get to rehearsals each weekend. With the new reduced rehearsal programme it's not such a big commitment, it took over our lives from November through to April. If you can make London easily, I would highly recommend auditioning. The auditions themselves are great experience, so worth having a go just for that reason, plus the chance to see Central school of ballet!!

• Like 2

I've had a look at the website but am having trouble working out when the children have to 9 in order to audition. Does anyone know off the top of their head? If not, I'll keep trawling through as it must be there somewhere...

I suspect DD is too young (only just eight) but it's so close to us that it would be ideal if not...

I've had a look at the website but am having trouble working out when the children have to 9 in order to audition. Does anyone know off the top of their head? If not, I'll keep trawling through as it must be there somewhere...

I suspect DD is too young (only just eight) but it's so close to us that it would be ideal if not...

If you go to the 'Registering for auditions' section and click through, the age criteria are stated on the form under where you enter the child's date of birth. It says:

AGE ELIGIBILITY: Girls aged 9-14 (born 31/12/2002 - 01/01/2008); Boys aged 9-16 (born 30/12/2000 - 01/01/2008).

• Like 1

If you go to the 'Registering for auditions' section and click through, the age criteria are stated on the form under where you enter the child's date of birth. It says:

AGE ELIGIBILITY: Girls aged 9-14 (born 31/12/2002 - 01/01/2008); Boys aged 9-16 (born 30/12/2000 - 01/01/2008).

Thanks! I hadn't thought to go the registering bit, as I thought I needed to know about age cut-offs before deciding whether I could register. Anyway, that's clear and she's too young.