Travel around RAD hq

along for the ride mum

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I am going to RAD Hq in Battersea next weekend and when we've finished there I want to take girls shopping. Camden market has been recommended as a great place to take them but I have no idea how to get there from Battersea. I will drive to Battersea as I've been there before and know where I can park but I'm not sure what to do from there. I am not really confident driving around London and I don't know it very well. I am tempted to leave the car in Battersea and use public transport to get around but I know that there isn't a tube station near Battersea Square. I want to get myself and two teens to Camden Market then possibly on somewhere else like Oxford/Regent Street if we have time, then I'll be putting them on a train and I'll need to get back to my car. Can anyone suggest how I go about travelling around London? Should I move the car or use tube/buses? Also I know you can't now use cash on buses, how do I go about paying? Do we all need Oyster cards and if so, where do I get them from? Any help appreciated for a Cityphobe

Battersea/Oxford/Reagents street/Camden aren't particularly close to each other, u could certainly make it to all in one day but probably couldn't spend much time in each place, Oxford street is good and of course Covent Garden and Drury lane are a fairly short walk away. You can use a contactless debit card on TFL and you could buy a days travel card for teens.

Oysters would be cheaper if u plan on returning to London in the future often, you can buy them from newsagents for £5 and top them up at the same shop, no point in buying one if you have A contactless card as the fares are the same price, individual tickets are more.

Can't help to much with directions though, sorry!

• Like 1

Thanks for replies so far. So I've got to put girls on a train at Euston eventually, would rad ( finishing at lunchtime) to Camden market then onto Euston be doable or would I be better off forgetting Camden market and heading to more well known areas like Oxford street/ Covent Garden ?

Edited to add, I have no idea where Euston station is in relation to the others, or even where they are in relation to each other

Edited by along for the ride mum

I think I have decided on driving to RAD, leave the car there, taxi to Camden ( hopefully saving time and stress) lunch, shopping, drop girls to Euston then make my own way back to the car by any means possible. Unless anyone can suggest somewhere vaguely near Camden Where parking would be available on a Sunday (it suggests on the website not to drive as parking is an issue)

Camden Market on the weekend is really crowded (and pretty horrible in places because of that). Although teens in my family quite liked it in the bits where it wasn't crowded. They much preferred Spitalfields. Neither Camden nor Spitalfiends is particularly close to Clapham.

Why don't people use the Transport for London site? It's brilliant: it has journey planners & downloadable (PDF) maps of the Tube and the buses. Just google TFL.

If you go to London often it's worth getting a zip card for a teen, it's basically a teen oyster, but you get free travel on buses and cheaper tube/overground fares. However if you were to apply for one it won't arrive before next weekend, please don't buy an oyster for a teen, not even for yourself if u have contactless the card is £5 and then you'll have to top it up for each tube journey (approximately £2, it'll be capped at £7 and won't charge more than that no matter how far u go) it's only worth it if you're in londtoften daily unlimited travel cards are around £7.

And there's also this fun map!

http://www.quickmap.com/movie1kin.htm

You can change the main line station, so you can see what leaves from Euston. I've just changed the mainline station I come in on (used to be Euston or Marylebone). I clicked on Paddington, and there's a bus that goes directly from Paddington to Camden. But honestly, Camden High Street on a sunny Saturday is almost impossible to walk along with any ease!

Also, most central London buses now have a lot of information on them (for example, automated announcements of the name of the next stop), and if you have a smartphone, you should be able to work out routes on the spot.

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 1

Thank you so much baby ballet, that's great info, I got quite a shock last time I went to London and got on a bus with a handful of change, the driver looked at me like I was an alien and to compound my embarrassment I'd left my contactless card on the coffee table at home ( after a little online shopping the night before) All I can say is that after what seemed like a very prolonged circular conversation the driver got very upset with me and told me to just go and sit down and forget it! I ended up walking for the rest of the day, it seemed easier! I realise I probably sound about a hundred and ten now and SO out of touch but the world seems to change very quickly! I was also confused by people appearing to pay for their travel by phone contactlessly, what's that about?

Hard to believe I know but when I was 16 I started working in London and spent a couple of years commuting in and working as a temp in and around the city, it honestly doesn't seem like that long ago but these days I feel like a real country girl!

If they are ballet teens, which I presume they are. I am sure they would adore Covent Garden.  It's the most amazing place and honestly not to be missed!  The Opera House itself is so special and the Shop is great, but outside you have street entertainment and speciality shops and an arts and crafts market, masses of cafes and restaurants around - totally fun area!  There are of course several dance wear shops in the area too.  Leicester Square is nearby and China Town - Shaftesbury Avenue with theatre after theatre.  I could wander around there all day!  You can also walk up Charing Cross Road (think bookshops) to Tottenham Court Road/Oxford Street and do some proper shopping in Oxford Street.  They might also enjoy the Kings Road, Chelsea full of boutiques, which is a bus ride from Battersea.  When I go to Headquarters, I actually get a bus from the main road (five minute walk) to South Kensington Station and you can get the Picadilly Line from there to Leicester Square/Covent Garden.  Last time I was in London, Covent Garden station was closed - possibly it's now open.

Thank you dance is life, I agree, it's lovely but we've been to Covent Garden many times and I think they'd like to do something different this time, also they've been saving up some Christmas money to spend but I thought it would be nice to see some different options than the usual high street stores, I think they have clothes shopping and other teenage girl stuff in mind

Edited because my iPad just ran out of battery half way through

Edited by along for the ride mum

Sorry, I didn't realise it's not their first trip to London!  In that case yes Camden Market might well be fun for them as something different.  The two nearest tube stations are on the Northern line although they recommend not using Camden Town station at weekends due to congestion.  Chalk Farm is a little further, as is Mornington Crescent. You could take a taxi to the South Bank if they haven't been and then take the Northern Line from Waterloo or the Embankment.  Euston is also on the Northern Line for coming back, so nice and easy.

• Like 1

Chalk Farm is closer to the top end of Camden market, if you're on a Edgeware train, I'd get out there. If you're on the High Barnet branch, get out at Mornington Crescent.

The 168 bus goes from opposite the Camden Market Stables entrance to Euston Station if you prefer buses

TfL is good for planning, but sneaky. If they think there might be congestion, they are perfectly happy to send you a complete roundabout way...

I'm sorry to disagree, but I think Uber has a lot of risks (apart from undermining the standard black cab and mini cab services in London). The drivers are not checked or insured as Black cab drivers are, nor is there a set rate per mile etc. Basically, anyone with a car can become an Uber driver. If you're uncertain or inexperienced in getting about London, I would NOT use Uber.

• Like 3

I used them last week in Manchester, it was a great experience. You are provided with the licence plate and photo of the driver before your journey, together with a fare estimate (my fee was actually cheaper than estimate) Afterwards I was asked to rate the driver, given that everyone wants good feedback it keeps drivers on their toes. It worked very well for me but each to their own.