Knees and legs

Mae989

Hi, my DD is not blessed with the much sought after 'swaybacks'. In fact she almost has hypo-extended knees.

Does anyone have any top tips that can help her straighten the back of her knees?

Has anyone had experience of this and maybe further into their training and managed to achieve a straighter leg line?

Or is this something she is blessed with for life?????

My DD's knees do stick out sadly but she still has been offered MDS place at two vocational schools so I hope there is a chance they will improve. I think it's just practising ballet with perfect technique, pulling up knees etc rather then stretching.

Hi Mae989

My DD lusts after swaybacks and doesn't have them, but she also doesn't have hypo extended knees. However, with religious daily hamstring and calf stretching she has developed a much better line at the back of the knees. Her teacher says you don't have to have sway backs, but the knees should be 'fully engaged' if that makes sense?

Aesthetically, "swaybacks" are desirable to some Artistic Directors. If you look at a line of Mariinsky "Swans", you'll see that almost all of the dancers have swaybacks.

All this means is that a dancer has hypermobile knees, often along with other joints like hips and elbows. Although this means greater flexibility, the lax joints can be very injury prone and need daily strengthening work so that the muscles surrounding the joints help protect them. Not something to wish for! :-)

• Like 2