Protein shakes?

Katymac

Is anyone or their children using protein shakes?

DD was advised to by the physio (20g x3; am, pm  & after her hardest class)

But we are a bit stumped as to what to buy - she doesn't like the taste of the one we tried & they cost a lot to be 'not nice'

As she struggles to maintain her weight my brother has suggested we get one with plenty of fat in it - but so many seem to be about weight control/loss - which would be completely unsuitable.  He also thinks dance might be more like long distance running or even rugby so if we go to a proper sports/bodybuilding shop that's what we should say, is he right? (she does a lot of commercial and Jazz on her course alongside tap, contemporary & ballet)

Does anyone have any suggestions for us?

Hemp protein powder is the best and most complete one that is entirely natural. It was recommended to me by my nutritionist. It doesn't taste too great but you get used to it and it's fine mixed in a smoothie. I do a mix of a handful of kale or spinach (or both), a banana, frozen summer fruits, a few teaspoons of flaxseeds and then the suggested serving of protein powder. Blend with a little water or juice. Looks interesting but tastes nice :)

I tend to throw a banana and milk when I'm using one as a late night snack after a clas that gets me home at 11pm for a 6:30am start. I'm perfectly happy to use the chain health food shop pure whey protein ones. Theoretically about 450 cals with lots of protein.

I don't like the taste of the maxi-muscle ones which are on sale in bigger supermarkets and Holland & Barrett etc. There is a good sports nutrition supplier called Science in Sport (SiS) and I really like their vanilla one, which I add to smoothies made with almond milk and fruit. They're not cheap but have a look and they often do sales for subscribers: www.scienceinsport.com

• Like 2

We ended up at Boots & Holland and Barrett

She doesn't like the chocolate flavour

I'll try that vanilla one Drdance

I am concerned that with her retainer (brace came off just before Christmas) she will eat less....& she gets so tired after class- she got a blendactive for Christmas so smoothies are in her future

Pulsin hemp protein. Was recommended by the nutritionist but it might be worth seeing one specifically yourself. I added the flaxseeds as they are a good source of fats and you can also sneak in things like avocado too which would be excellent.

If she's getting tired check she's eating enough protein, my go to snack is always something protein based as I used to suffer from lack of energy. The Nakd bars are a good quick boost, so are the Trek bars.

Edited by munchkin16

This is all really complicated - I don't really understand it - we've been given the name of a shop to go & look at - hopefully someone there can talk us through it

The websites seem to expect a level of knowledge eg just protein vs protein plus carbs; & I just don't know enough yet, so I'll keep googling

DD has decided vanilla might be better than chocolate

She is pretty good at eating - generally

I guess I'm trying to fix two problems with one solution

1) the physio thinks she needs more protein
2) she can't snack easily any more because of the retainer & I'm worried she will lose weight

& she wanted a blender thingie to make shakes with spinach & fruit & stuff

Just a word of caution: protein is needed for recovery, to help muscles repair themselves and build up strength. It should not really be relied upon as an energy source. Complex carbohydrates (brown rice, wholegrain pasta, cereals etc) should be the main source of energy, topped up with fruit if you need a quicker burst. Breaking down proteins for energy puts additional strain on the kidneys (due to the waste products) as well as denying the muscles and connective tissues what they need to rebuild.

Katymac if you have questions I'd happily answer them - while I don't claim to be a nutritionist or dietician, I have studied sports nutrition. 

(FYI the profession of 'nutritionist' is not considered a medical one as it doesn't have state registration; In the NHS, nutritionists work alongside dieticians, doctors and nurses because they cannot advise patients, in the same way that a physiotherapist cannot prescribe medication. The NHS states "There is no set entry route to become a nutritionist. Most nutritionists have a qualification in nutrition, usually a degree or a Masters, [while] to practise as a dietitian, you must be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). In order to register with the HCPC, you need to study for an approved degree in dietetics. This is usually a BSc (Hons) degree".

• Like 3

You're welcome! Sports physios are often athletes themselves, or work very closely with athletes, and in the sports world, correct nutrition for performance has been considered essential for at least 20 years so it's 'normal', compared to the dance world where, if you'd asked a professional dancer 10 years ago, what they ate to make sure they performed at their best and to avoid injury they'd probably have looked at you in a very strange way!

I was going to say the same about seeing a registered dietitian not a nutritionist (I have heard some very strange advice and 'diagnoses' from nutritionists although I am sure not all are bad). She definitely wouldn't qualify for supplements on the nhs and it would probably be hard to get her referred unless her bmi is too low? Dietitians always recommend meeting needs with food first before trying supplements as they are expensive and fresh food tastes nicer. There are quite a few guidelines available freely if you google but here are a couple

http://www.bapen.org.uk/pdfs/food-first-leaflets/fortified-diet.pdf

http://www.wolverhamptonlpc.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/16/2013/09/Mi67891227.06.13V1.01.pdf

She could make up batches of the milkshake/ rice pudding recipes to snack on?

• Like 1

Moomin - I love in the second link how there are High calorie snack to have & low calorie snacks to avoid.....DD would probably have 2 from each list ;)

Her BMI is OK at about 18.6 so we wouldn't get a dieticians appt.

Milkshake is the way to go I think

DS uses impact whey protein powder in vanilla, made up with whole milk. Bought from myprotein, recommended by my younger brother who is a super fit army officer (he does 10 mile runs carrying a 40 kilo backpack)...this is the cheapest way to get protein shakes....

He has also when needing a more conveniently packaged fix mostly used clif builders bars, you can buy them on amazon...he likes the mint choc chip ones...

bro also recommended a rice based protein bar that the Olympic cycling team make to take on trips, I think this might be the recipe https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/zuvvi/media/bc_files/izonedocs/IZ_Rice_Cakes.pdf

A word of warning though, when I was reading up on protein supplements, I read (and was advised by my bro) that these shouldn't be used under age 16 due to problems with creatine clearance I think.. Not sure how old your daughter is katymac so I just mention it....

• Like 1

If you're still considering seeing a dietitian I'd recommend you get her to keep a food diary for a couple of weeks. If she takes it to the consultation it may well mean that she doesn't need a return visit. It may be worth her doing one for her own to see what her intake is. If she gets one of the food diary apps it will calculate all her protein/ nutrients etc for her

• Like 1