Longer second toe and UK vocational schools

Yaffa

Have there been cases of girls being accepted to the major vocational ballet schools with a second toe which is slightly longer than their big toe? This for a 10 year old girl overseas, currently without a ballet teacher, whose family may be relocating to the UK.

My second toe is longer than my big toe and I never had any problems with pointe!  I could do 32 fouettes right and left and it was certainly not a hindrance.  I actually think that a longer big toe is more problematic as it may cause bunions.  It was a million light years ago, but I was accepted to RBS and the length of my toes was never even mentioned.  Anyway, if she's good she should audition and see what happens.  You never know till you try!

Edited by Dance*is*life
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I am told that Olivia Cowley has a much longer second toe. This doesn't appear to have affected her too much ;)

Whereas I'm sure that having the first three toes about the same length is helpful, I'm equally sure that especially with ever-advancing technology most foot shapes can undertake pointe work.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for clarifying that toe size in itself isn't a big deal in the UK vocational schools. The girl who had asked is apparently no longer doing ballet. But today, I met a mother who was also under the impression that ballet is about dancing on toes and it needs a 'perfect' body, so if your toes aren't the 'right' shape and size (as is the case with her daughter's), that's it...She was happy to see the messages in this thread. Thanks again....

Many years ago I used to read in ballet books that the ideal was to have the first three toes the same length as each other. My first two are. But I doubt nowadays it's particularly important, especially if at auditions for schools they don't check.