Shapes and sizes

Mae989

Exactly what I meant 2dancersmum.

I'm sure the OP is concerned for all the right reasons, but I just got the wrong vibes from some of the comments made on the thread. Do we really want any young dancers reading this board to get the impression that their mums are constantly comparing notes and making judgements on their bodies when they turn up to shows or watching week, instead of being impressed by their dancing?

I am not that shallow!

I think you have totally mis-read my post.

What I actually said was that my DD is slim. What I asked was is filling out normal or is it due to poor food choices?

Not once did I say she was overweight so read it back before you mis-quote.

I think there are far too many people out there who can't speak to their children about food, what constitutes a healthy diet, what constitutes a healthy body. I know so many parents who don't encourage a healthy diet and body and they run the risk of their children becoming overweight and the struggle of losing weight when they are older can be just as traumatic as an eating disorder. I am able to talk to my DD and encourage and open dialogue. I am honest with her as she is with me. I clearly don't say to her your bum looks bigger but I do encourage her to make the right choices. ALL sportsmen and women have to ensure they make the right choices in order to develop their bodies in the right way. I have not been in the dance world before and have not got an older daughter so simply do not know if this is normal or not

Mae, having read your post I understand where you're coming from. I feel as if I've been preparing dd forever re; healthy eating choices. We've let them go off to live elsewhere at such a young age at a time in their lives when they are changing so much. For what it's worth, I do think it's normal to fill out a little before a growth spurt, which I'm sure she's going to have very soon. I may not have seen her dance, but my dd thinks she is fantastic :D xx

• Like 1

They were just coming in for ballet then last week as my Dds class were leaving. I was chatting to the nan of another year 7 girl we know.

It does sound like she might be ready for a growth spurt or just be an earlier developer & as I said in my earlier post, they all catch up by around year 9.

But hammering home the good nutrition without emphasis on body shape is probsbly a good idea.

• Like 2

I agree with everything said above...if only schools and directors were as sensitive. At one well known upper school the director pulled 6 students out of class and berated them publically...in the corridor for all to hear...that they were too fat and had to lose weight or no company director would look at them!!!!