On buying tickets ...

Bruce Wall

Had to laugh this morning ... (thank God for laughter) ....

Clicked on the ENO website at 9.30 am to see if I could get on in preparation for the general booking of SUNSET BLVD with Glenn Close .... At first it said it wasn't working ... (understandable) ... With a little patience I managed to get in.  Finally I managed to get on a queue .... This was after 10.00 am and the opening of the box office...  It told me there were over 22,000 people in the queue ahead of me ... and that the wait was 'in excess of an hour' ....

Suddenly the workings of the ROH website didn't seem to stand alone ...

Only this time I didn't let the stress get to me ... I merely smiled .... then laughed ... then moved on.

Fingers crossed I might even get a ticket .. and, if not, hey, I'm the type who actually prefers to stand :) 

• Like 2

Had to laugh this morning ... (thank God for laughter) ....

Clicked on the ENO website at 9.30 am to see if I could get on in preparation for the general booking of SUNSET BLVD with Glenn Close .... At first it said it wasn't working ... (understandable) ... With a little patience I managed to get in.  Finally I managed to get on a queue .... This was after 10.00 am and the opening of the box office...  It told me there were over 22,000 people in the queue ahead of me ... and that the wait was 'in excess of an hour' ....

Suddenly the workings of the ROH website didn't seem to stand alone ...

Only this time I didn't let the stress get to me ... I merely smiled .... then laughed ... then moved on.

Fingers crossed I might even get a ticket .. and, if not, hey, I'm the type who actually prefers to stand :)

Have just tried it to take a look at the prices and got straight in, glad to see the balcony is open, that's the queue system the ROH had in use this morning!

I remember the 'old' queuing system for booking at the ROH, when I got interested in ballet again around 2009/10. One time I think I was something like number 900 in the queue or it could have been 1,900. I waited and waited as my place inched nearer the target, about two hours it took. I lost the will to live a few times but got it back as I reached number three, then two, then noooooooo, there was a glitch and I went back to about number 800. I gave up.

As you say though, you have to laugh and keep it in perspective. Otherwise, the computer and everything else would have to go out of the window. :wacko:

Did you get your ticket in the end Bruce?

• 3 weeks later...

You should have seen what it was like trying to get tickets to see Oasis in their heyday. 10,000 tickets were usually completely sold out in an hour. When they played two nights at Knebworth Park in 1996,to a quarter of a million people,they sold every ticket within a few hours. Will never forget the time I queued up outside our local Ticketmaster outlet from five am in anticipation of the doors opening and the tickets going on sale at 9 am. Think it was for Lansdowne Road in Dublin. They fully sold out in 30 minutes or thereabouts,all to people on the phone with their credit cards. Not one ticket was available for sale at any Ticketmaster outlet anywhere in the country. Had to resort to buying what would have been a £27 ticket from a tout for £80 on the day. At least I still got to see them though.