On September 8 Mikhailovsky opened the season with new Corsaire staged by Mikhail Messerer. Ekaterina Borchenko as Medora, Leonid Sarafanov as Conrad, Anastasia Soboleva as Gulnare.

http://www.mikhailovsky.ru/en/afisha/performances/detail/672653/

corsair_2_02.jpg

Ekaterina Borchenko

Pas de deux from Act 2. This is a tape from the last performance - Borchenko was urgently called to replace Perren and she danced with Ivan Vasiliev. Not only that she is taller than him, but they had to perform after a single rehearsal made just before the show. I think they did it well! 

Le Jardin Anime. This is Ekaterina's top scene!

pt 1: 

pt 2: 

pt 3: 

Final love scene (with Ivan Vasiliev):

Angelina Vorontsova

Variation from Act 1:

A lovely dance of "the little corsaire":

Pas de deux (with Leonid Sarafanov)

Adagio: 

Variation: 

Coda: 

Leonid Sarafanov

Conrad's variation: 

Ivan Vasiliev

Other variation:

Edited by aqualia2008
  • Like 2

Thank you so much for posting all of the above, Acqualia. I will be watching later when I am at home! I was in St. Petersburg in February but the Mikhailovsky were not performing on the nights I was there. I would love to see them another time as I love their dancing!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So nice to hear that talks (source Sunday Express: 'Talks are progressing to bring the production to London next summer; one can only hope the deal is sealed swiftly') are underway about bringing the Mikhailovsky (and their new Corsaire) to London next summer at the Coliseum I assume.  (Hope they bring Flames of Paris as well .. then we will have both theirs and the Bolshoi's in one season.)  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

A list of all full performances of the company on YouTube:

Swan Lake - 2012 - Borchenko, Lebedev 

Swan Lake - 2009 (old production) - Borchenko, Pykhachov 

(part 1)

(part 2)

Don Quixote - 2012 - Osipova, Vasiliev

Flames of Paris - 2013 - Bondareva, Vasiliev, Borchenko, Korypaev

Laurencia - 2013 - Vorontsova, Vasiliev, Soboleva

The Nutcracker - 2013 - Vorontsova, Sarafanov

La fille mal gardee - 2014 - Vorontsova, Zaytsev, Tsiskaridze

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

April at the Mik... Highlights include Swan Lake with Borchenko and Lebedev, also with Soboleva and Ivan Mikhalyov from Stanislavsky... La Bayadere with Borchenko and Vasiliev, La fille male gardee with Vorontsova, Zaytsev and Tsiskaridze, also Don Quixote with Vorontsova and Vasiliev... Also ballets choreographed by Ivan Vasiliev himself at the Hermitage theatre.

http://www.mikhailov...a/performances/

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Will the Mikhailovsky be visiting the UK next Summer?  We know their St P counterparts - the Mariinksy are coming to the ROH as has been confirmed on these boards.  The Sunday Express seems to think the Mikhailovsky might be coming to the UK? - in their review of that Company's La Sylphide:  

Messerer’s clear vision transforms a flimsy dalliance into a sweet heartbreak and with luck should be on show in Britain next summer.

You can find the full review in today's links.  (As ever the BcoF team do a BRILLIANT job on behalf of us all).  

If it IS true ... It would be wonderful to see this Slyphide, the Messerer take on Flames of Paris and Corsaire (which is also reviewed in today's links in their current California performances) ... All have been done since they were last here.  Also it would be grand if they might bring their much hailed production of Ashton's Fille which - as we all know - is a true masterwork or perhaps their much hailed Bayadere.  Assume they would again be at the Coli ... or maybe the Lowry .. which would be equally as wonderful ... or the Hippodrome in Birmingham.  (Perhaps they might be a featured company in Edinburgh.)  

Time will tell.  It always does :) 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Also a bit of a funny story from recent Russian trip though shows me up as the numskull I can be sometimes.

After some of us had been to see the Nutcracker there which we had all thoroughly enjoyed ( most refreshing for years for me) we were talking back at the hotel about the Company to some important ballet bod connected to Helsinki Company.

Any way I asked him who was the artistic director there these days and he said for some years it had been Mikhail Messerer.

Cogs were slowly turning as I pictured some sort of old man who,must have been at least a hundred years old.

So I said " gosh Mikhail Messerer is he still teaching he must be really ancient by now"

Quickly to be told (with slightly exasperated expression) No ...not that Mikhail Messerer ....his grandson of course...(he might just as well added you fool)

Well it looks as if grandson Messerer is doing wonders for the Mikhailovsky I would definitely go out of my way to see them.

• Like 1

Fingers xd for the Mikhailovsky to come back next summer I have loved them every time I have seen them. I like their Giselle in particular and DonQ too but I'll take whatever they care to bring????

What did you see on your trip to Russia LinMM I'd love to go again.

• Like 1

No ...not that Mikhail Messerer ....his grandson of course... ...

Well it looks as if grandson Messerer is doing wonders for the Mikhailovsky...

To be precise, the granddad Mikhail (aka Mendel) Messerer died in 1942 and was not doing anything for ballet himself as he was a dentist. However, as a parent he produced two remarkable dancers and ballet teachers - Asaf and Sulamith Messerer and was a granddad for the supreme ballerina - Maya Plisetskaya.

• Like 4

There is something else which this Company gives off .....a certain happiness? .....not sure ....but some sort of good feeling across the footlights....but more than one of us felt it ...so not just me punch drunk at being in Russia!

This is the list Don Q ....quite a lot for six days!!

Mariinsky twice : Giselle with (Ekaterina Osmalkina and Alexsandr Sergeev)

and then Vaganova students performance of Fairy Dolls( special for me as CeliB's son dancing....name in Russian: Оскар фрейм

Mariinsky Two( the new theatre a really wonderful building in its own right) for Cinderella (Ratmansky)

Mikhailovsky twice: Nacho Duato modern piece......Multiplicity/ forms of silence and emptiness

And The Nutcracker ( Petipa/ Duato) starring Angelina Vorontsova and Victor Lebedev

I loved the Mikhailosky theatre though and because the exterior is virtually lost in a larger block (of houses? offices?) bordering one side of a square all the more magical when you enter the door way and find yourself in this gem of a theatre!! I felt very much at home there some how and know I'd be there all the time if lived in St Petersburg but didn't see other smaller theatres so a wealth to choose from I think.

We spent the week ( st Petersburg rush hour) only just making some performances by the skin of our teeth and indeed having to stand at back for first part of Cinderella as had just started( long intrepid story here)

So by the time we got the the Nutcracker on the 5th we had St Petersburg sussed......ordered the taxi at lunch time to be there for 5.30 pm and ended up at the theatre.....because it was Saturday and NO traffic....by 6 pm. We were so relieved to be arriving in such good time for once that the five of us ordered a bottle of champagne and celebrated in style....with plenty of time this time to take piccies of the beautiful interior.

And Victor Lebedev ....well I've got a new hero of the dance!!

• Like 3

Sulamith, already getting on in years, came to teach here in Britain at the end of her career along with her son Mikhail (Misha) who was also a popular teacher in London.  I once watched one of Misha's classes where the line up included Nina Ananiashvili, Alexei  Fadeyechev and Carla Fracci.  He has gone on to do wondrous things at the Mikhailovsky.

• Like 2

I loved St. P. when I was there a couple of years ago, and hope to go back one day.  Sadly the Mikhailovsky company were on tour, but I did get to see the Mariinsky three nights in a row, including the best Bayadere I have ever seen, so that made up for it!  :) 

Sounds like you had a great time, LinMM!  

• Like 3

Thanks Sim yes I did....very hectic ....but it snowed every day....Russia in the snow!!........but it was a really magical week ...alas already seems an age away!! But this was one of those weeks where time stood still...sort of.....supposedly what happens when you are travelling at the speed of light!!!

Just to,get back to The Messerer family.

Have since googled them and it looks like a really interesting story.

Is there an actual book you can put in your hand on about this "dynasty" ....or is the information there just taken from a series of interviews over time but not put altogether in one book? I certainly can't seem to find such a book.

• Like 2

Just to,get back to The Messerer family.

Have since googled them and it looks like a really interesting story.

Is there an actual book you can put in your hand on about this "dynasty" ....or is the information there just taken from a series of interviews over time but not put altogether in one book? I certainly can't seem to find such a book.

It is true that the Messerer family was outstandingly talented and has a remarkably interesting history. You can see on this photo:  https://www.chayka.org/media/650

the parents surrounded by their 8 children. Asaf is standing behind his father. Sulamith is standing first on the right. The beautiful young lady with a scarf, sitting next to her father, is a silent film actress Ra Messerer, Maya Plisetskaya’s mum. All other children were famous in drama theatre.

The whole family is very well described by Sulamith Messerer in her book “Sulamith. Fragments of Memoirs”, published in Russian.

http://www.ozon.ru/person/5205136/?group=div_book

Edited by Amelia
  • Like 3