Pointe shoes

ladybug88

So I have bought these online that I can start practicing on. My teacher said there shouldn't be a problem as my ankles are strong enough and I have almost all my technique down. She doesn't want me to spent 80 dollars on pointe shoes till I have felt them on me and made a confident decision that this is what I will be doing. My question is have any of you bought these before and are they legit?

https://www.wish.com/c/54645d9a3dabbe67fe8876f4

Are you in a part of the world where it's difficult to get to a shop?

You really need to go to a fitting where you can try all different brands & styles. Then take them to your teacher before seeing the ribbons on for their approval. Pointes are expensive but it's vital to get properly fitted ones.

Very experienced dsncers who know what suits their feet may buy online if they are replacing a pair like for like but it's really really not a good idea otherwise.

• Like 1

Ok-

From your other posts I see you are sn older beginner & you have hAdproblems with your feet as well.

As you only started balket in May it's unlikely you will have developed enough technique yet for pointe work snyway. Has you teacher told you to get shoes or did you tell her you were going to & she's being diplomatic.

All the more reason why buying those shoes online is a bad idea.

Frankly, your teacher sounds irresponsible, or you haven't listened properly. It doesn't sound as though you're anywhere near ready to begin pointe work, and you should never buy your first pair of pointe shoes online.

You can do permanent damage to your feet, ankles and hips by working on pointe when you're not ready.  Apart from physical strength, alignment, and control of turnout, these are the things that you should be able to do confidently:

Do you feel confident in an intermediate level open class?

Do you have a reasonable knowledge of the execution of the basic steps, with good technique? At both the barre and the centre.
Can you hold your turnout in the centre practice in adage, tendus, and jumps?

Can you do a strong solid single turn both ways (left & right) and good double turns?

Edited by Kate_N

So I have bought these online that I can start practicing on. My teacher said there shouldn't be a problem as my ankles are strong enough and I have almost all my technique down. She doesn't want me to spent 80 dollars on pointe shoes till I have felt them on me and made a confident decision that this is what I will be doing. My question is have any of you bought these before and are they legit?

https://www.wish.com/c/54645d9a3dabbe67fe8876f4

I have never seen pointe shoes or even soft blocks (demi pointe shoes with no shank) for £10 and there will be a good reason why they are so cheap; i.e. they are not proper ballet shoes. Have you already bought these? If so, can you send them back?

I'm not sure where your nearest dance shop is but assuming you are ready for pointe, you should never ever buy your first pair of pointe shoes online. Pointe shoes are as personal and as individual as having braces fitted on your teeth - you wouldn't order those online without a fitting, would you?

If your teacher really has seen those £10 shoes and has said you can practice in them at home, then she is being irresponsible. You could break an ankle - or worse - and do yourself untold damage. No beginner to pointe should ever practice at home, unsupervised, regardless of how good a fitting they have had.

I appreciate that we are probably not telling you what you want to hear, but truthfully it's for your own safety. If you search the forum for "pointe" you will see many many threads about pointework and pointe shoes which are worth reading.

Edited to add: Post number 9 of this thread is well worth a look: http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/1129-pointe-shoes-help/#entry13912

• Like 1

Oh I miss Anjuli's advice and common sense.

Ladybug I would take the advice everyone is giving you. You haven't been back to dance long, you previously complained about foot pain and other problems. Pointe work needs to be supervised by a very knowledgable teacher to reduce injury and problems. A proper pointe shoe fitting can take an hour plus - there are so many variables, foot shape, strength, instep, flexibility, length of toes etc.

My dd is roughly your age, has been en pointe for years and over that time as her feet have changed and she has developed she has moved through various brands and styles to get the perfect shoe for her stage. I only buy mail order or online when I'm replacing shoes she is currently using. She would never try a new shoe or g back to an old style without a proper fitting.

Your feet, knees, hips need to give you years of service not just the short time you are dancing.

• Like 3