theatre auditions

chloe123

I was wondering if anyone knows how companies / theatres advertise children's auditions?

Not necessarily ballet but also dance / musical theatre (eg panto or if a touring show is looking for local children)

There very rarely seems to be any audition information on theatre websites.

Thanks  :)

Sometimes you can find things in the back pages of the local theatre programme guide, where they often advertise workshops and drama courses etc. Smaller theatres generally have a large local dance school providing the children for the ensemble.The big regional theatres often use a production company for pantos, rather than producing them in-house. First Family Entertainment does quite a lot of pantos  for the ATG Theatres.

You could maybe have a look on notapushymum.com also - it's a very active forum for parents of performing dc's in theatre/film/tv/musicals etc.

• Like 1

Thank you - yes I've noticed sometimes that all the children come from one dance school.

But sometimes there are open auditions and we always seem to find out too late 

Auditions seem very secretive and it's only after the event that people talk about it!

Theatres often put on shows at Easter and in the summer holidays, and our local one usually puts audition details in the theatre guide. You have to keep an eye out for them and get the new issue as soon as it comes out. Make a note of when the auditions were that you missed, as they will probably be at about the same time each year. Panto ones are generally some time in September/early Oct; summer hols ones before/after Easter.

I agree, people only talk about auditions afterwards, I think the reasoning is that the fewer who find out about them the fewer will turn up and the more likely it is their dc will be chosen (that's the cynic in me coming out now!!). ;)

• Like 3

I think you will find there are two types of auditions. Open auditions and auditions by appointment. Auditions by appointment are usually, but not always, through an agent. Open castings will be advertised (Notapushymum, screen Terrier, Jo hawes website and are often only for children who live in and around London). Hope this is helpful.

Theatres often put on shows at Easter and in the summer holidays, and our local one usually puts audition details in the theatre guide. You have to keep an eye out for them and get the new issue as soon as it comes out. Make a note of when the auditions were that you missed, as they will probably be at about the same time each year. Panto ones are generally some time in September/early Oct; summer hols ones before/after Easter.

I agree, people only talk about auditions afterwards, I think the reasoning is that the fewer who find out about them the fewer will turn up and the more likely it is their dc will be chosen (that's the cynic in me coming out now!!). ;)

I always got the impression the reason no-one talks about auditions beforehand,was just in case that person wasn`t accepted,and their friends/colleagues,whoever, ask them how it went,to have to say "I didn`t get in". 

• Like 1

Our local panto auditions are usually in local press. One of theatres has a 'stage experience' show each year, auditions are advertised through theatre and on Facebook by group that run it. We've found other local groups through word of mouth that advertise primarily through their websites/ Facebook pages.

It's rare that it's the theatre that will advertise open auditions. The "cattle call" costs huge amounts of resource in time, space, and it's generally a waste of time, to be honest. Seeing loads of untrained, or semi-talented, inexperienced want-to-be performers is not the way to cast a show, whatever television programmes such as X Factor etc might suggest (those shows do a terrible disservice to the professional performing arts, in my view!)

It's the role of casting agents working with theatrical agents, and the director/musical director of a show. And the way to be seen by these people is to be signed up to a legitimate theatrical agent. But caveat emptor: any so-called agent who wants an upfront fee from you is not legitimate!

• Like 2

Just to clarify, I was just asking to try to find out about small, local productions. 

We've no intention at least for the time being of auditioning for anything in London. Unfortunately it's just not practical. I understand that high quality west end shows are unlikely to hold open auditions and see thousands of children. But what about children who just want experience on a much smaller scale?

We live near York and have seen on several occasions open auditions for things in Leeds or other local areas but it's very hard to find out about them. 

My daughter has done a few amateur shows and is just looking to maybe take this a step further. She loves ballet but also dance in general and musical theatre. 

I've requested to join the forum suggested. 

Many thanks everyone. 

Our small local theatre posts info about panto auditions on its website, not on front page but often in news or youth group page. Also I'm on their email list so get info via that source. I've also heard info on local radio when musicals such as Les Mis visited the larger regional theatre - wanting girls of specific height, colouring etc. Audition info used to be in local newspaper too - just a couple of lines well hidden!

When my dd been involved in pantos it was because dance teacher was asked to provide dancers.

Might be worth emailing education officer at local theatres and asking about audition opportunities. They might be able to point you in right direction.

Pantos are a huge family commitment, great fun for the child but as parents you end up juggling fitting in preparation for Christmas and inevitable bad weather!

• Like 1

That's why I never allowed mine to do panto, Jane. They are such a long run and trying to juggle Christmas, the extended family, the weather and the long journeys it would have involved would have driven me demented! Living in a village is not all it's cracked up to be. I watched too many ballet mums becoming unglued around the edges when their dcs were doing panto or too many festivals.

Hi chloe123 I agree with Jane. Contact your local theatres and ask them whether they hold open auditions for shows and pantos or whether they use a local dance school. If it is a local dance school the teachers there will probably know about other performance opportunities as well. It might be a nice school for your dc to become part of.

Chauffeuring kids to rehearsals and performances of pantos can take over your whole life at Christmas and New Year, especially if there is a long run. And don't expect your child to be paid. However it is the most amazing thing to be part of. Both for your dc and yourself if you get involved and do some chaperoning. My dc has the most wonderful memories from doing panto and we both wish she was short enough to do another.

Good luck with your search.

• Like 1

We've no intention at least for the time being of auditioning for anything in London. Unfortunately it's just not practical. I understand that high quality west end shows are unlikely to hold open auditions and see thousands of children. But what about children who just want experience on a much smaller scale?

Ah, sorry, I see now. You're doing the right things then, and also I'd recommend joining your local amdram/amateur musical theatre company. They always need people who can dance, and it's a good way of becoming part of amdram networks. <wistful memories of every Saturday of my childhood & teens spent in the theatre performing in one of these>

If your DD can sing as well (or at least hold a tune) then she's bound to get involved in things eventually!

But my long experience of these is that part of the way to be cast is to be there for a while. There tends to be a valuing f people and families who get involved, volunteer, and generally contribute to activities, rather than "strangers" who just turn up for auditions. I can see why: if you want opportunities to perform, it's good to help in the creation of the se, and all the work involved in running an amateur theatre.

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 2

I'm also in york. Both main theatres have auditions sept/October time, I'm sure the dates have been in local press but if you contact the theatres they will tell you. There is a 'stage experience' each summer at grand opera house - auditions are usually in spring. Also get on mailing lists / have a look for York Stage Musicals and Upstage theatre - 2 local groups. Dd currently performing in bugsy with York stage musicals (last night tonight).

• Like 1

chloe123, I think I know the sort of thing you mean... Keep an eye out at your nearest arts centre. Ours has a theatre company that hold auditions every year for its summer productions. Anyone can audition, and they're very professional, beautiful productions that sell out really quickly.

• Like 1