Eliteballet

RBS Mid Associate Training.

Oh and some children have additional stretching by the class teacher. This is nothing to worry about, it just means they want to see if flexibility goes beyond what they are able to support with their current strength. DD was stretched further in her arabesque at the barre, and was offered a MA place, so definitely not a negative.

Edited by SissonneDoublee
Spelling
  • Like 1

Lots of MA’s were never JA’s ( mine included) so don’t worry about that. It can be a little daunting at the audition seeing all the JA’s in their leotards but important to keep focused and warm up sensibly without looking around at others. 

Be confident and enjoy!

• Like 1

Thanks for the encouraging comments! Sounds like a great experience, whatever the results. I'll tell dd about the stretching! How many approx. were in each class for the audition? Hopefully it will all be good audition practice at least and a tiny taste to savour of the RBS!

There were about 25 in DD's Mids audition last year. Lots of white JA leotards but she was by no means the only one who wasn't. She was nervous but so were some of the JAs. I gather there are about 15 Mids in total (years 7,8 and 9) in our nearest centre so it's tough for anyone to get a place, JA or not. The audition is a special experience in itself though, and DD doesn't regret going for it. She felt very proud of herself. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SissonneDoublee said:

DD was at both stages of auditioning this year. Preliminary audition was a basic ballet class. There was lots of emphasis on musicality and sense of line. No children were seen en pointe. All girls were asked to wear socks and shoe with elastic. They were seen doing stretches, and a physio had a look at them. It was a lovely class, and DD thoroughly enjoyed herself. WL finals were more intense... two days of class, interview, physio, academic testing and a callback class! They choose who they want to see at finals, and not ticking the box for White Lodge doesn’t mean you won’t be there... we know of a couple of children who were invited to attend without applying for full time training! Good luck!

The Finals do sound pretty intense!! How many get through for this stage, and I can't imagine there are more than a couple of places available?

7 hours ago, Katia05 said:

The Finals do sound pretty intense!! How many get through for this stage, and I can't imagine there are more than a couple of places available?

About 25 in each class for prelims, with no1 as the youngest and no25 the oldest (they bear age in mind when considering the children) and 60 girls in total at WL finals. At the end of the two days 15 made it into the callback class, but some girls went straight into the ‘yes’ pile (I think we worked out that there were maybe three of these!). They take 12 girls and 12 boys into each year group at White Lodge, and have a couple on a waiting list that runs until Easter of the following year. Of the 16 JAs that we knew at prelims, two (boys) got into WL and two (girls) got MA places. It’s tough, but the whole process is very positive for the children and DD had a fantastic time at all stages.

• Like 1

My daughter was never a JA always SWL .got to finals last year but was a No then SWL for MA’s. No place came up. But she had a great time and the whole process was really lovely and interesting not scary at all (for her). She is a very resilient person! Just go for it and take it with a pinch of salt if it’s meant to be it will happen and just have a Plan B, C & D!!! 

• Like 1

Oh and we stayed in a nice hotel the night before and it’s was a really nice experience for her whatever the outcome. Knew the competition would be tough. 

20 minutes ago, SissonneDoublee said:

About 25 in each class for prelims, with no1 as the youngest and no25 the oldest (they bear age in mind when considering the children) and 60 girls in total at WL finals. At the end of the two days 15 made it into the callback class, but some girls went straight into the ‘yes’ pile (I think we worked out that there were maybe three of these!). They take 12 girls and 12 boys into each year group at White Lodge, and have a couple on a waiting list that runs until Easter of the following year. Of the 16 JAs that we knew at prelims, two (boys) got into WL and two (girls) got MA places. It’s tough, but the whole process is very positive for the children and DD had a fantastic time at all stages.

Ah that's so interesting to know! Thank you for giving some insight. We have no idea how it all works! Well done to your dd getting to finals - what an experience!

18 minutes ago, Dancer123 said:

My daughter was never a JA always SWL .got to finals last year but was a No then SWL for MA’s. No place came up. But she had a great time and the whole process was really lovely and interesting not scary at all (for her). She is a very resilient person! Just go for it and take it with a pinch of salt if it’s meant to be it will happen and just have a Plan B, C & D!!! 

Great to hear how resilient your dd is, and how positive the experience still was for her. Yes, plan B, C and D at the ready! :)