RBS Mid Associate Training.

Eliteballet

@Streetdancer when my dd got her no like your email said  so no feedback and we took it as read, however when I next saw dd dance teacher she had contacted RBS herself  and was given good constructive feedback. That was 4 years ago not sure if policy has changed. I’m sure there is people on here with more updated advice. Good luck 😊

• Like 3

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Dancer123 said:

Was that this year??? Well Done to your DD x

Thank you 😊 No it was a couple of years ago. She had got no for Yr 7, waiting list for Y8 and got offered a place. She really enjoyed it and the challenge and went on to do SA. Good luck to your dc will keep 🤞 

• Like 1

On 28/03/2018 at 19:33, Danceintherain said:

It's one we've been debating in our house!  We're not even sure Hammond would allow it.  After a morning of classes, to then travel to Birmingham and back.  As much as I'd LOVE to see her every weekend, I feel she needs the time to settle into life away from home, and that includes forming friendships and enjoying the down time on a Saturday afternoon.  She'll be starting GCSE work too, so there's making sure she has the time for that, and we need to realistically understand how much driving that would mean for us - even putting the petrol cost aside, we'd be constantly exhausted.  I haven't ruled it out just yet, but I think ultimately we will end up having to turn the place down and allow somebody else to have it.

Very wise!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

After a long road of nos and SWLs for associates had a call yesterday to say place has come up from the waiting list for DD London y9 MAs in September.

Anyone who has followed our story will know this is the fourth time she auditioned for associates! DO NOT GIVE UP.

• Like 16

46 minutes ago, amos73 said:

After a long road of nos and SWLs for associates had a call yesterday to say place has come up from the waiting list for DD London y9 MAs in September.

Anyone who has followed our story will know this is the fourth time she auditioned for associates! DO NOT GIVE UP.

Wow! That is amazing news! HUGE  congratulations to your DD! 

Xx

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, amos73 said:

So pleased for you both my lovely after such hard work and dedication to be given this opportunity - so deserved!! 

• Like 1

On 22/05/2018 at 07:04, amos73 said:

This is fantastic news well done x

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • Jan McNulty changed the title to RBS Mid Associate Training.
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me if the Mid-Associate auditions are similar or different to the JA auditions? (Obviously a higher standard by now, but I wondered if the format is similar?) Do they do some pointe work too? Also, from anyone's experience, how many girls audition? My dd hasn't been a JA, so it's a very long shot, but she's keen to try so we applied. Now feeling a bit out of our depth for the January audition, so any tips or advice very welcome!!

You might find it helpful to look on YouTube at: Associate Programme and Audition Livestream Q&A. 

When my dd auditioned a few years ago, there wasn’t any pointe work. However, those who had brought pointe shoes were looked at en pointe at the barre.

There are always hoards of people auditioning. Get to the venue before they all arrive and find a quiet spot to prepare as early as you’re allowed.

There will probably be lots of showiness that you can choose to ignore or appreciate the comedy in it. Don’t get upset about it though because it doesn’t mean a thing!

• Like 1

DD was at both stages of auditioning this year. Preliminary audition was a basic ballet class. There was lots of emphasis on musicality and sense of line. No children were seen en pointe. All girls were asked to wear socks and shoe with elastic. They were seen doing stretches, and a physio had a look at them. It was a lovely class, and DD thoroughly enjoyed herself. WL finals were more intense... two days of class, interview, physio, academic testing and a callback class! They choose who they want to see at finals, and not ticking the box for White Lodge doesn’t mean you won’t be there... we know of a couple of children who were invited to attend without applying for full time training! Good luck!

• Like 1

Oh and some children have additional stretching by the class teacher. This is nothing to worry about, it just means they want to see if flexibility goes beyond what they are able to support with their current strength. DD was stretched further in her arabesque at the barre, and was offered a MA place, so definitely not a negative.

Edited by SissonneDoublee
Spelling
  • Like 1

Lots of MA’s were never JA’s ( mine included) so don’t worry about that. It can be a little daunting at the audition seeing all the JA’s in their leotards but important to keep focused and warm up sensibly without looking around at others. 

Be confident and enjoy!

• Like 1

Thanks for the encouraging comments! Sounds like a great experience, whatever the results. I'll tell dd about the stretching! How many approx. were in each class for the audition? Hopefully it will all be good audition practice at least and a tiny taste to savour of the RBS!

There were about 25 in DD's Mids audition last year. Lots of white JA leotards but she was by no means the only one who wasn't. She was nervous but so were some of the JAs. I gather there are about 15 Mids in total (years 7,8 and 9) in our nearest centre so it's tough for anyone to get a place, JA or not. The audition is a special experience in itself though, and DD doesn't regret going for it. She felt very proud of herself. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SissonneDoublee said:

DD was at both stages of auditioning this year. Preliminary audition was a basic ballet class. There was lots of emphasis on musicality and sense of line. No children were seen en pointe. All girls were asked to wear socks and shoe with elastic. They were seen doing stretches, and a physio had a look at them. It was a lovely class, and DD thoroughly enjoyed herself. WL finals were more intense... two days of class, interview, physio, academic testing and a callback class! They choose who they want to see at finals, and not ticking the box for White Lodge doesn’t mean you won’t be there... we know of a couple of children who were invited to attend without applying for full time training! Good luck!

The Finals do sound pretty intense!! How many get through for this stage, and I can't imagine there are more than a couple of places available?

7 hours ago, Katia05 said:

The Finals do sound pretty intense!! How many get through for this stage, and I can't imagine there are more than a couple of places available?

About 25 in each class for prelims, with no1 as the youngest and no25 the oldest (they bear age in mind when considering the children) and 60 girls in total at WL finals. At the end of the two days 15 made it into the callback class, but some girls went straight into the ‘yes’ pile (I think we worked out that there were maybe three of these!). They take 12 girls and 12 boys into each year group at White Lodge, and have a couple on a waiting list that runs until Easter of the following year. Of the 16 JAs that we knew at prelims, two (boys) got into WL and two (girls) got MA places. It’s tough, but the whole process is very positive for the children and DD had a fantastic time at all stages.

• Like 1

My daughter was never a JA always SWL .got to finals last year but was a No then SWL for MA’s. No place came up. But she had a great time and the whole process was really lovely and interesting not scary at all (for her). She is a very resilient person! Just go for it and take it with a pinch of salt if it’s meant to be it will happen and just have a Plan B, C & D!!! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SissonneDoublee said:

About 25 in each class for prelims, with no1 as the youngest and no25 the oldest (they bear age in mind when considering the children) and 60 girls in total at WL finals. At the end of the two days 15 made it into the callback class, but some girls went straight into the ‘yes’ pile (I think we worked out that there were maybe three of these!). They take 12 girls and 12 boys into each year group at White Lodge, and have a couple on a waiting list that runs until Easter of the following year. Of the 16 JAs that we knew at prelims, two (boys) got into WL and two (girls) got MA places. It’s tough, but the whole process is very positive for the children and DD had a fantastic time at all stages.

Ah that's so interesting to know! Thank you for giving some insight. We have no idea how it all works! Well done to your dd getting to finals - what an experience!