Dance school recommendation Oxfordshire/Berkshire/Bucks

rainbowmagic

My nearly 13 yr old daughter has been dancing since she was 2 1/2 and lives for it. She has been to a number of dance schools over the years as we have to move around with my hubby's job but we are beginning to feel she is stuck in a rut at her current school and don't know which direction to go in. She currently attends 1x grade 6 and IF (RAD) class a week and attends modern and tap classes too and also a monthly associate scheme. She has been lucky enough to dance with the EYB but misses attending a dance school offering her the opportunity to be part of squad. Her current school is very traditional and very much a case of your face fitting but doesn't enter competitions or festivals. I really feel she is being held back but we need to find the right school for her. Does anyone have any recommendations in the Oxfordshire/ Berkshire/ Bucks area?

Hi rainbow magic, we live in bucks and I also have a nearly 13 year old doing almost identical classes to what you've listed above! We use a co-ordinated approach, by this I mean her teachers are all aware of what she does and where. I'll send you a pm detailing where we go. Bucks though is large county so maybe they won't be of help.

Hello rainbowmagic,

This may be stating the obvious, but if I were you I would do two things - google "ballet classes in...." for the areas you're looking at - and if you definitely want a school that does comps, you could look at the regional results for All England comps and see which schools compete.

Obviously a school doesn't have to be a competition school to offer excellent teaching, have a good record of getting students into Associate schemes and/or vocational schools, nor do comps have any bearing when applying for vocational school, but if your daughter loves competing and misses it I'm sure you will find a suitable school with a bit of detective work. :-)

• Like 1

Guest Autumn days

I think the key is that Rainbowmagic was looking for recommendations not just a list of classes!

Edited by mum in a spin

Thank you for your replies. I have been researching dance schools in the area and have come up with a few names, but I really like being able to hear about people's experiences first hand. The best dance school my daughter has been to came on friend's recommendation and she was so happy there with so many opportunities offered to her. It broke her heart when we had to move and I've felt guilty ever since especially as she just isn't happy at her current school.

• Like 1