anondancer_15

Hello!

So, I'm starting to think a bit more seriously about auditioning for schools next year (age 18) and any advice/tips would be very much appreciated. For example...

How many places should I audition for - what have people's limits been on audition fees? I'm doing lots of overtime at work at the moment in an attempt to start saving up, but what's a reasonable limit? 

Any suggestions on where to apply? 

When I first considered a dance career I ruled about ballet entirely because I'm slightly overweight, not exactly small chested, and only about 5ft... but the more I think about it the more I want to give it a go because I get more and more obsessed with ballet every week. So I'm thinking London Contemporary, Laban, London Studio Centre, but now I'm also starting to consider Ballet Theatre UK, Tring Park, ENBS etc... I don't really want to give up on ballet and wherever I go has to have some kind of classical training still which I think most do anyway. 

I told my ballet teacher I wanted to go to a dance school today which I've been scared to do for ages and she said 'yes, you're still here for a year aren't you so we can still do a lot with you.' which of course filled me with hope.... but I never mentioned where I wanted to go exactly and she never suggested anything. 

I'm hoping to audition for BTUK and TP Classical Ballet Associates, and I'm looking into summer schools as well so if anyone has any more suggestions about what I can do between now and auditions for full time training - let me know. 

I think I've said everything I wanted to now... All advice will be very much appreciated!!

Lauren :) 

• Like 1

Lauren, I would also add Rambert and RAD BA Ballet to your list of schools to look at. There are other uni courses which are mentioned on this forum (do a search). I'm not sure if it's usual for Tring or ENBS to accept students at 18....but I may be wrong. Good luck. X

On the question of cost of audition fees- it really does tot up so worth thinking things through -depending on your budget and location. Really, all in each audition seems to add up to at least £100 with travel etc but at 18 you may not need a mum in tow which may keep the cost down!

I don't think you can go to Elmhurst at 18 because that's a sixth form, but I definitely said in the email to ENBS that I was currently doing my A Levels and would be applying on completion of those and they said that was absolutely fine and they've had a fair few students do the same previously. RBS and BTUK said the same.

You can also audition for elmhurst. I did last week and I tuned 18 in November. I applied for, ballet west, central, northern ballet, elmhurst, enbs and BTUK x

I know they will audition you but what I'm wondering is if at 18 they are looking at you as candidates to join 6.3 ( graduate year) at ENBS and Elmhurst.

Does anyone know of anyone joining either school in 6.1 at older age from UK?