ROH Turandot - advice needed, please

Jane S

Some friends who have never been to the ROH before would like to see Turandot this summer and have asked me for advice - I can't really help them as it's a long time since I was a regular opera-goer.

Is there an obvious choice between the two casts? (Goerke/Antonenko and Lindstrom/Alagna)

And how hot a ticket is it likely to be? - i.e completely sold out 10 mins after the booking opens, or possibly tickets still available a day or two later?

And finally, is there anywhere that gives the price range of tickets?

Thanks in advance for any help.

The last time I booked for Alagna he was 'off', not sure if it was a health or voice issue.  I like him in Puccini and have a wonderful recording of him in Rondine, would certainly book for him over an unfamiliar singer.

Turandot is one of the operas in which I would still want to see Alagna. But yes, there is a risk he will cancel.

His tickets are likely to go quick. Lindstrom is probably the bigger name of the two Turandots so their performances will probably go first (the ROH website gives details of prices, if you have trouble PM me and I'll send you a scan of the page in the Friends brochure)

One thing I might add: the old ROH Turandot production is a "banker", a reliable night out for those who don't often go as well as the regulars.

I'd be surprised if anyone other than Kaufmann qualifies as a 'hot ticket' these days. Don Carlo, which used to sell out very promptly, still has plenty of tickets for its up and coming run and tickets are still available for the Butterfly 2nd cast (until recently even for the Jaho 1st cast) and this would surely be described as a 'banker'.

I don't know that I'd describe Alagna as a draw any more although I would still book to see him. I must say that I did enjoy one observer's comments that the most likely reason for his withdrawal from Trovatore was because he must have seen the production. And as Kurzak is cast as Liu, I'd imagine that he is more likely to turn up for this one.

I agree, by the way, Alison, with your views on the lead characters.

Jonas Kaufman is too baritonal for my taste.  I would have thought Juan Diego Flores might be the main man these days though I'll admit his repertoire is a bit limited.

Definitely baritonal. Fabulous on stage as he is a consummate performer but less so in recording although I do currently enjoy listening to his voice more than I did a few years back..

JDF, as you say, has a limited repertoire (and there have been murmurs that his voice hasn't been sounding at its best of late) but a big personality.

Personally, I'm looking forward to Michael Spyres' up and coming Mitridate. Loved his Benvenuto Cellini at the ENO and his La Monnaie Mitridate was much acclaimed.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 2/28/2017 at 12:28, Scheherezade said:

Definitely baritonal. Fabulous on stage as he is a consummate performer but less so in recording although I do currently enjoy listening to his voice more than I did a few years back..

JDF, as you say, has a limited repertoire (and there have been murmurs that his voice hasn't been sounding at its best of late) but a big personality.

Personally, I'm looking forward to Michael Spyres' up and coming Mitridate. Loved his Benvenuto Cellini at the ENO and his La Monnaie Mitridate was much acclaimed.

I must have struck lucky.  Alagna did turn up and he was absolutely wonderful and gave it his all.

Kaufmann - well one of the best nights of my life.  Loved every moment so much I impoverished myself to go again.  Amazing Otello in all respects.