pointe shoe help

ballemum

My dd uses grishkos they are hard back as she has strong feet. She has even tried the superhards and she goes through them in less than a month. She has tried gaynot mindons and she didnt get on with them she actually ended up with a bad toe in them.

Can anyone advise a make or something to help it is costing a fortune.

I feel your pain too as my DD also used to go through a pair a week (sometimes even a pair a class!) and she's non vocational!

Grishko 2007 used to be her shoes of choice however even Superhards were being destroyed pretty quickly. We have tried all Grishkos including the Dream Pointe which Kat09 has mentioned. Dream Pointes certainly lasted longer however they don't come with a full shank (or not as long as DD likes) so she found she was breaking the backs of these in an awkward place which was then digging into her foot. They also don't have high enough wings for DD. 

Anyway to cut a long and boring story short, DD now wears Freed Studios Professional which I have to shellac on a regular basis, but I probably only buy on average a pair a month now (she has a few pairs on the go at once)

I think that we always thought she needed a harder back as they broke so quickly, but now it seems that its the wings that need to be strong as she can wear medium back Freeds. This may be the issue for your DD Ballemum?

All trial and error and a lot of money spent!

We've had several threads on this subject, if I remember rightly. This thread may help - it is entitled Gaynor Minden pointe shoes but there is a fair bit of discussion about shoes breaking quickly: http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/9606-gaynor-minden-pointe-shoes/page-4

Also this: http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/8238-medium-or-hard-shank/

and http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/6985-pointe-shoe-help/#entry94584

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/8952-pointe-shoe-advice/

There are loads more, if you search the Doing Dance for the phrase "hard shank" (use the speech marks), there's a whole page of threads. :-)

• Like 1

I'm not sure whether anyone else has mentioned Wear Moi shoes, but my DD's used to also go through Hard Shank shoes very quickly and were suggested the Reinforced Extra Hard professional shoe from Wear Moi by a fitter at Planet Dance in Leeds.  They have found these to be very hard wearing, so far...........

Interesting to read a comment on the Wear Moi shoes.  How does your DD find them for comfort and fit Quest?

DD has had many problems with her feet over the years - so finding pointe shoes that suit has been a bit of a problem.  Not as much as many others but as we don't have a great selection of fitters near us it's had it's own challenges.

DD started with Freed Studio Professionals, then Bloch Triomphe, then Grishko 2007 and back to Bloch's again.  At her latest fitting it was suggested that she try a Wear Moi shoe as the customisation elements might allow her to get something that is more suited to her feet.  We have a pair on order at the moment and she's really looking forward to trying them. 

Sorry to jump in on your question ballemum, but it's rare to spot someone commenting on Wear Moi's.

I don't have super strong feet (sadly) so I can't comment from experience, but I know when I got fitted for my last pair of Merlets they had some hard shank and polymer (is that the right word? Plastic stuff?) shanked shoes akin to GM. I hated GMs, I twisted horribly in them, but love Merlets, so they might be worth a look.

• Like 1

Interesting to read a comment on the Wear Moi shoes.  How does your DD find them for comfort and fit Quest?

DD has had many problems with her feet over the years - so finding pointe shoes that suit has been a bit of a problem.  Not as much as many others but as we don't have a great selection of fitters near us it's had it's own challenges.

DD started with Freed Studio Professionals, then Bloch Triomphe, then Grishko 2007 and back to Bloch's again.  At her latest fitting it was suggested that she try a Wear Moi shoe as the customisation elements might allow her to get something that is more suited to her feet.  We have a pair on order at the moment and she's really looking forward to trying them. 

Sorry to jump in on your question ballemum, but it's rare to spot someone commenting on Wear Moi's.

They have found the Wear Moi shoe to be the best fit for their feet, and very comfortable!  They both tried Freed's, and whilst they loved the look of the shoe, they just didn't offer sufficient support and only lasted them a few weeks  :mellow:.  My DD's did try several brands at a recent fitting and just couldn't get the same 'feel' as they have with the Wear Moi's, hope your DD likes them :)

• Like 1