Graduation advice

Dancingdreams

My DS will graduate from Italia Conti in July this year so we/he is starting his journey out into the 'real' world.  He graduates with various qualifications (Adv 2 ISTD Ballet/Tap/Modern, DDI/DDE teaching qualification in ballet) along with other 'circus' type skills (ariel, silks, pole, etc) and Lamda acting qualifications along with a much improved singing voice.. so all in all he's prepared himself for the industry as best he can.  He has also been fortunate to secure an agent too.

He auditioned the other day for Disney and had got through (allbeit on their waiting list) - he put down a potential start date of September this year due to other committments. I am of course pleased for him but I would be interested to hear what the perception of Disney is within the industry i.e. is it a good thing to have on your CV? 

My only niggle/concern is that with the standard he has achieved is he (I I dont want to sound big-headed here) 'over-qualified' for this?? I have also said to him that if other auditions come up between now and September where is his successful to get as many 'offers' on the table so to speak. 

This is the point now where we are venturing into the 'unknown' and just at the start of his career which is quite a daunting feeling.  I dont want him to rush into the first offer he gets necessarily.

Wow, well done to your ds.

Of course its a good thing to have on the cv, any performing experience is.

Its very, very hard to get work in the industry and he has done well already. And he still has time to audition elsewhere, presuming Disney take him in September so hopefully he will have choices.

Getting that first job is crucial because many contracts require 2-3 years professional performing experience.

Good luck.

• Like 2

I agree with hfbrew. To be honest, when it comes to finding paid employment in the dance world, I think Disney is a great first job to have on your CV. Gives you absolutely invaluable professional experience which can only stand your DS in good stead when looking for his next job. If anything preferable comes up in the meantime, great! :-)

• Like 7

That is a real achievement for your DS Dancingdreams to get so far before graduation.  (I don't want to rain on your parade, but as I understand it waiting list doesn't guarantee there will be a job.)  Disney is an excellent name to have on the CV and I have heard that they treat their employees very well. Best of luck - I am sure he will have various offers over the next few months!

• Like 4

Well done to your DS.  From what I gather you are right to encourage him to still audition elsewhere though.  DD has several friends who have or have had Disney contracts.  Following the audition and getting the success letter, the waiting time for her friends to actually get a contract and go there has been between 2 weeks and 15 months as they do have to match you to a vacancy and it does not necessarily depend on when you are available from.  I know at the auditions this week they were recruiting for people to start May-July with some contracts ending in September, some in January and some open-ended so it is possible that his September availability will match with an opening but who knows.  I think it is a good name to have on a CV and I think it is particularly nice as a first contract as they live altogether in a little community and all of them seem to really enjoy working there as it is such a 'happy place' to work.  We are at the same stage as you with DD as she graduates this summer too.  She wanted to audition for Disney too but had a clash of dates with another audition.  We totally recognise that daunting feeling.

• Like 1