Conflicting advice (wrt to auditions)

Katymac

When your child has several dance teachers (even within one school) how do you balance the advise they give wrt auditions

A singing teacher suggests one song, then next week a different teacher suggests something else

Wear a colour; wear black; wear a patten

Wear you hair loose (for Jazz not Ballet) tie it up away from your face

wear full make-up, wear no make-up, wear red lipstick

I'm sure I can think of others - & I know some of these are MT not ballet

But how do you decide who to listen to?

Few thoughts:

Wear whatever leotard is most flattering and gives your daughter confidence.

For jazz, got to feel jazzy, hair off face and up, but not classical.

Make up - depends on where auditioning - laines and Urdang (I'm pretty certain) insist all girls go to class, everyday in full make up (don't think birds do).

As for song, bit more tricky, but DS old singing teacher who trained at birds always recommended something which was a bit more unusual, something they've not heard 20 times already that day ie anything from Wicked! But ultimately got to be something she's comfortable singing.

Good luck!

• Like 1

When your child has several dance teachers (even within one school) how do you balance the advise they give wrt auditions

A singing teacher suggests one song, then next week a different teacher suggests something else

Who is this different teacher? The singing teacher is best placed to advise on the song. She should know what would suit your daughter's voice as well as what would be appropriate for that particular audition.

Regarding who to listen to on the other points, on what basis are they offering the advice? Have they been to that kind of audition themselves or had other students do it? I guess you need to listen to their reasoning then make your own decision.

With things like which leotard to wear, you could always take 2 or 3 different ones to the audition then decide when you get there. Same with hair styles. You don't want to stand out in a bad way.

• Like 1

She wore her hair out yesterday for Jazz (her hairband snapped) & the teacher loved her Afro & said to wear it loose for auditions

This of course freaked me out as it's always been tie up your hair & keep it out of the way.....so she is thinking about it and will try dancing with it out to see if it 'works'

They were both her singing teachers (one for group & one individual)

She thinks she knows what suits her leotard-wise - she would love white but the underwear situation is always complicated, I like a nice olive green (with her skin tone) but she has decided on black for Ballet & ruby red (if we can find one she likes) for Jazz

She uses an elastic band (thinner than an Alice band) to hold t off her face, she has been practising at Move it & she says it's fine no problems at all

& the new leotard is purple (so much for red)

Aw thanks SarahW; I don't know about a bin bag, but she is easy to dress :)

It's getting more stressful as they approach; & with everyone having replys you wonder if there are places left

If it were me,and there were two teachers at the same school telling you two different things,I would tell the other teacher what the other teacher said,and explain that you are a little confused by it. They are,of course,entitled to their own individual opinions. But I think you ought to make it known to both teachers the opinion you have been given by the other teacher,and how it differed from their own opinion. They really should be giving you very similar advice,I believe. If they are not,and the two different opinions conflict,then they are doing your daughter a disservice.

Edited by thequays
  • Like 1

I agree - but teenagers aren't always confident enough for that

Never mind - she is happy wearing it out; she tried over two days of Move-it and danced easily with it loose in a hairband.  Plus she was 'scouted' talk about an ego boost right before her first audition :D  then new lipstick & foundation on the advise of an older student and we are away

The new song is really an old one tweaked & she is all ready to rumble!

Heaven help the first college - she is ready to sparkle ;)

• Like 7