A ballet museum

I thought I would start a discussion surrounding the lack of a dedicated museum/ exhibition space for ballet. Since the closure of the theatre museum in Covent Garden, the V & A have a very limited space to show the wonderful collection they have. I understand there is a museum at White Lodge, but I have never seen this publicised other than via the website which indicates you have to book in advance, with limited opening hours. I'd be interested to know what other people think and also whether there are any upcoming significant exhibitions planned.

• Like 2

I was thinking this yesterday looking at the plans for the ROH, it would be nice if there was space for a small museum amongst the cafes and retail outlets that are scheduled to be open all day, perhaps downstairs , it would be somewhere interesting to go if you arrive early.  Unfortunately there don't seem to be any plans as yet.

• Like 3

The V&A Theatre section is quite good, but not huge I agree.  Might be worth approaching say The Design Museum or the Fashion & Textile Museum in London see if they could put something on.  The Costume Museum at Bath did some Nureyev costumes once but it was very small.  There is a dance museum in Stockholm which is good (and free!).

I was really lucky recently in December to see the exhibition "Dance and Fashion" at The Museum at the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York it was great. 91 outfits from tutus to high end fashion to demonstrate the links.   I saw pointe shoes belonging to Fonteyn and Pavlova!  There were numerous videos to watch including one showing Valentino working with NYCB's costume master on costumes for a new ballet (name escapes me) and his red dress for Maria Korowsky was on display.  Sadly photos were not allowed however the accompanying book by Valerie Steele (Yale Press) shows much of what was on display.  If you live in the US it is a mere US$14 on Amazon (RRP $50) slightly more here.  I got mine off eBay but www.wordery.com has it at a reasonable price too.

• Like 1

I remember there was a Diaghilev special exhibition some years back - I assume it was at the V&A . It would be lovely to have more photographic exhibitions celebrating the work of say, Leslie Spratt. Perhaps an exhibition to mark the 25th anniversary of the death of Margot Fonteyn, which I think is in two years time.

Edited by Odyssey
  • Like 3

I just found a link to information about some of the exhibits at White Lodge - it's an old article, but I assume it is still relevant. It looks welI worth a visit. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has visited the museum,particularly to know how extensive it is. I assume it focuses more or less entirely on the Royal Ballet.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/gallery/2009/feb/25/museums-ballet