Benefit of festivals

Happymoocow

I've been pondering an issue for a while and have finally decided to express my thoughts with the hope of enlightenment! No pressure then, but I would really welcome your thoughts and opinions.

I am not the dancer, my lovely 13 year old has a desire to become a dancer when she leaves school (she is not vocational- saving up for that at post 16/18). She manages 8 different classes a week covering ballet, tap and her beloved modern. The issue though is that despite all of these classes and training since the age of 3, she doesn't get the opportunity to perform other than a musical theatre style performance once a year. I am beginning to worry that the lack of performance opportunity and the lack of opportunity to pitch herself against her peers may prove a disadvantage at some point in the future.

There are schools relatively local who do participate in festivals, but I wonder; is the festival experience worth changing for considering otherwise she is happy and developing very well.

I'd love to hear your views.

Many thanks x

My 16 year old DD has done festivals since she was around 5 and we have had lots of fun over the years. She has gained performance experience and learned a lot about teamwork, success and failure and plenty of other general life lessons. I think she has got quite a lot out of it,but I am not sure I would change schools just to do festivals,if otherwise happy. Have you looked into things like EYB or other youth ballet companies? They are a good way to get performance experience that can be done on top of regular lessons.

How does your DD feel about it - is she keen to move or not? If you do look at other schools, I would advise checking they don't focus entirely on festivals and maintain a good balance. I have come across some schools who are very successful at festivals but do little else, which I don't feel is ideal. As my DD's teacher put it, the students are taught dances rather than to dance.

Sorry, that's probably not helped! Good luck with whatever you and your DD decide.

• Like 5

Dd is at voc school post 16 and never did festivals as it was the opinion of her teacher that festivals can focus more on "showyness" rather than technique.

As DD has never been to a festival I could not say whether this is a general feeling or just the personal view of DD's teacher at the time! I am sure they could be useful and fun for some whilst others may find it stressful.

Some DC's are more natural performers than others and some more technical than others and some lucky ones have both!

I would agree with both Pups Mum and Jazzpaws, take the advice of your teacher and maybe also consider associate schemes. The most important thing is for your DD to enjoys dancing.

Good luck with your decision.

• Like 1

Would your current teacher be up for entering her? Maybe a few privates to learn a modern routine? Doesn't have to be a massive thing. I did festivals for a few years aged 17+, massively opened my eyes, gave me something to work for & most importantly taught me to perform. My teacher only asked a few of us, we had privates/featival class & did a few comps a year.

My dd has done both Associates and festivals and both are valuable. I think festivals do give something additional - performance experience. This is something I am finding more important as we follow the dance dream (hers not mine!) I have realised at vocational school auditions that there are many with good technique and build and you need to show something extra.

We've had plenty of laughs and tears along the way at festivals. I agree they are not the be all and end all though.

I would ask your teacher if you are otherwise happy there. Others have mentioned alternatives which would be great as well.

• Like 1

Not much to add to the good advice above but just to give another voice.

I would not move a child who is happy and doing well. She is certainly getting enough variety in her classes and a good amount of hours a week. If she would like more performance work then ask your present teacher if she could make her a solo, so that she can enter the local festivals as a private entry. In my experience, the festivals are run by dance mums/ex dance mums and some teachers on a voluntary basis and are all very approachable and once you contact them they will be happy to advise the correct entry - ie age range, genre, and level, each festival seems to be slightly different.

If your teacher doesn't have the time or inclination (she does sound busy) then that is not a problem just ask her if she could recommend a youth dance programme like EYB or NYB. Also look for a summer school that does an end of school performance/demonstration for the parents.

Good strong technique and confidence are the most important things, performance will follow from that. I would say you are investigating just at the right sort of time. Festivsls can be fun and help with performance, they can also be stressful and off putting - just make sure your daughter really wants to do one.

• Like 2

Thanks all for the comments so far. The conversation about the festivals has come about as a result of conversations she has with girls who attend an associate programme she goes to, think she is a little envious about the chances they have to get on stage. As she says, I do lots of learning to dance, but don't get on stage to dance. Think the chance to wear a tutu may have something to do with it! I am reassured that it does not seem to be a disadvantage to not do this type of event, which was my concern, and I have watched with interest the threads about EYB. I did talk to her about that as an option, but she thinks she won't be good enough plus it's only ballet, (she can lack confidence). I will speak to her teachers about options and see what is suggested. Thanks again

• Like 1

I've already posted on other threads about this, but just wanted to say that my DD (age 11) has just done her first year of competitions and it has been a huge boost to her confidence, as well as fascinating to see other dancers and also older girls from our studio 'in action'. The best advice I had was to advise DC not to compare themselves as there will always be someone better at something, but to go with the aim of working hard, doing your best, and learning from it all. Also a great way to meet other dancers/parents.

• Like 1

Hello! I noticed that you mentioned "beloved modern"! If your daughter hasn't already tried it-might I suggest that you/your dance teacher look into Janet Cram? Its a fantastic experience with great performance opportunity for modern dance.

There are similar opportunities for tap and ballet awards too-all info is on the ISTD website.

Best wishes

• Like 3

Another thing I meant to say is that it would be a good idea to take your DD along to watch one of your local festivals before you make any decisions. It's usually just a few pounds to watch for the day and it will give you some idea of whether it's something that appeals to you both or not. There is a significant time and financial commitment required so it's worth watching a couple of times to get the flavour of the local festivals before you cash out for expensive costumes etc. Some children thrive on the competitive element, but it's not for everyone.

• Like 2

My teacher doesn't let us do competitions or festivals, but I wish she did. I have been to watch a few and they look great fun! My friend who has done them loves them, so I suggest you let your daughter go for it!

I wonder Sozo if that is down to her lack of available time to commit to them or her dislike of them.

I think they are of huge value, especially those run by the examining boards ISTD and RAD.  They have really enabled my daughter to expand her ability to pick up freework, grow in confidence and performance.

DD's school takes part both in festivals and in the ISTD competitions (Ballet Awards, Janet Cram, Star Tap).

DD is not going to make dance a career, and for her, many of the most tangible benefits of her dance have come through what she does at festivals - team work as part of a performing group, self-confidence and poise as a soloist, speaking clearly in front of a large audience, and all those invaluable life lessons about putting the work in, meeting triumph and disaster just the same, losing gracefully and winning without arrogance.

If she was leaning towards dance as a career, then the ISTD competitions would give a much better opportunity to benchmark oneself against other dancers. in particular the ballet one - where the same routine is taught to all dancers on the stage, and the exam variation then danced in small groups - really does allow some kind of comparison of technique / ability. The others, where the dancers dance their own solos as part of the award, are perhaps more like festivals in that the skill of the choreograopher and choice of costume etc influence the outcome as well as 'ability of the dancer' does.

• Like 4

What about going to watch a festival (that one of the alternative schools are entering) and see what you both think of it? Dd has danced in festivals since she was 4, I think she's learnt a lot of life skills from them - confidence, team work, being gracious in victory and defeat. She's also loved every minute.

• Like 1