Drop-in classes at Pineapple

SBallerina

I go to classes at Pineapple and the standard is high. I went in thinking I would be general/intermediate due to previous training in my youth and quickly discovered I should be in beginner classes!! Even in some of the beginner classes there are very good dancers. It depends on the reputation of the class I think - a "Beginner/All" class I went to recently was packed and many were what I would call advanced.

Edited by hellogoodbye

I've not done ballet at Pineapple but lots of Jazz & tap - agree the level is pretty high! Lots of professional dancers in shows take class there. I've done a beginner class that I thought would be just a fun extra, oh my, it was full on! I tend to do general/all & sometimes intermediate if I'm feeling brave, I guess they're around Advanced 1/2 level...saying that there is usually a variation & everyone just gets on with it. I've seen a few advanced/pro classes, they look pretty full on. Defo Advanced 2 sort of level at least. The morning ones always seem to be quite small numbers, although it's been a while since I've seen any. Do a general level class first & see how you get on?

Does anyone know about the basic ballet classes? I'm in London on Saturday and am debating whether I am brave enough to try the one they have from 11.30 a.m. - 12.30 a.m. (I have tickets for the Miss Saigon matinee!)

I haven't done ballet so can't speak with much expertise. All I would say is that I never make plans directly after I've been to Pineapple; they make it VERY HOT in there so you get sweaty! Having said that, I usually do jazz/hiphop/commercial so ballet might be different. They have showers there too obviously, if you have time.

I haven't done ballet so can't speak with much expertise. All I would say is that I never make plans directly after I've been to Pineapple; they make it VERY HOT in there so you get sweaty! Having said that, I usually do jazz/hiphop/commercial so ballet might be different. They have showers there too obviously, if you have time.

Thanks for this. My show isn't until 2.30 p.m. so I think it would be OK :)

I took a class at Pineapple once and it was very enjoyable. I can't remember what level it was but it wasn't beginner. It definitely wasn't advanced, though (I saw some Royal Ballet dancers hanging around in the hallway for that class, after ours). Maybe it was "general".

Hi Becky

I did Maggie’s Elementary Tuesday class at 3pm at Pineapple for about a year up to a year ago, it was no beginners class, it was generally accepted then as being intermediate level and was also similar in standard to my ENB level 3 at that time. I don’t know if it has changed since but I suspect not.

I have known a few dancers shy away from the centre work and watch and in some instances leave during centre. I have only ever known one couple be turned away after barre work. 

If you are unsure, pay your £2 entry at reception, (Don’t know if it still is) and go and watch, the class through the studio door, its usually left open and you can see from there.

I liked pineapple, not so much for the class, but reception used to let me borrow an unallocated studio for practice after class (free of charge), that I did most weeks before going on to English National Ballet in the evening.

During that period I did do a couple of DanceWorks classes, they were considerably easier but were some what over crowded.

Hello,

As a 14 year old going to pineapple I was so excited and so I phoned up asking what level I would be ( doing g6 and inter f) and they told me advanced! Since intermediate was before I though ill go to that first and see if I think I could do advanced. No way was the answer! The steps individually weren't too hard but everybody else there went every week s they had already learnt the excersises (not syllabus though). DONT LET THIS DISCOURAGE YOU! The teacher (denzil) was lovely, very helpful and gave corrections in such a positive way! Receptionist aslo lovely (my mums new best friend!)

Hope this helped

bB x

• Like 1