Mark Baldwin - INALA: a Zulu Ballet - in the UK, 2014, 2015 and 2019

• 10 months later...

I've seen two performances of Inala over the last couple of weeks - the first a matinee at Sadler's Wells and then on Friday evening at the Liverpool Empire (where, most unusually for me, I saw it from the circle).

This is a show with a real feel-good factor - perfect for a light-hearted night out.

I've never seen Ladysmith Black Mambazo before so I don't know if they usually move around/dance so much but the singers (as well as being utterly fabulous) really melded well with the dancers.  The dance movements were lovely and sinuous and lyrical.  I loved the bird head-dresses that were worn from time to time.  I found the final 2 sections both moving and uplifting.

Sitting in the circle on Friday I enjoyed the lighting effects on the floor (which had completely passed me by in the front stalls at Sadler's Wells).

All the dancers looked great but I must mention Jacob O'Connell who is a 2nd year student at Rambert and was, IMHO. sensational!  Definitely a young man to watch out for in the future.

If anyone else has seen this production I would love to know what you thought. 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On ‎02‎/‎08‎/‎2015 at 00:01, Jan McNulty said:

All the dancers looked great but I must mention Jacob O'Connell who is a 2nd year student at Rambert and was, IMHO. sensational!  Definitely a young man to watch out for in the future.

I was just looking for any reviews of Inala, and found this.  Am I imagining it, or was Jacob O'Connell one of the participants in BBC Young Dancer?

• alison changed the title to Mark Baldwin - Inala - in the UK, 2014, 2015 and 2019

I've edited the header a bit as it's not Ladysmith Black Mambazo appearing this time, but the Soweto Gospel Choir, although I guess the sound is probably pretty similar - there were certainly quite a few echoes of Paul Simon's Gracelands, and other things.  The blurb also says that it features current and former dancers from the Royal Ballet and Rambert, but since I didn't pick up a programme I can't confirm that, although I remember that Pietra Mello-Pitman, ex-RB, is involved.  It's not touring this time, so the West End season at the Peacock Theatre, which runs until May 18th, is the only UK appearances this time round.  Anyway, I went to see it tonight, and thought it was very enjoyable, although glad to see confirmation from Janet above that I may have missed something from being too close to the stage!  It certainly got many of the audience on their feet at the end :) 

• Like 1

• alison changed the title to Mark Baldwin - INALA: a Zulu Ballet - in the UK, 2014, 2015 and 2019

Huge congratulations to choreographer Mark Baldwin OBE and the producers ‘Sisters Grimm’ ( Pietra Mello-Pitman and Ella Spira )  for this terrifically heartwarming and uplifting show. The Soweto Gospel choir are part and parcel of the dancing and are the very heart of the show. The dancing illustrates the singing and the dance ‘characters ‘ in their various costumes and plumages represent a myriad of wild animals, birds, fish or mythical creatures according to your own mood and interpretation. 

The choir sing in the Zulu language and there is a hint of translation in the very informative programme ( well worth the £5). Plus lots of excellent photos. 

For an afternoon or evening of pure joy do not miss this show.

PS ( you know I love a ps) I had the pleasure of meeting Mark Baldwin as he was watching the show right next to me. My friend and I both said how much we enjoyed the whole show which has live musicians on stage too. Mr Baldwin was extremely courteous and happy to sign my programme. He said he noticed all the little things in the show that weren’t quite right... we reassured him that to us it was perfect . 

• Like 2