Live Relay of Wheeldon SL Rehearsal for Joffrey in CHI, ILL, USA

On Thursday at 11:30 am local - e.g., Eastern Seaboard Time - (4.30 pm GMT) - the Joffrey Ballet hosts a LIVE STREAM of Christopher Wheeldon rehearsing his SWAN LAKE with the Joffrey dancers.  Source   The Joffrey AD is ASHLEY WHEATER.  He is a RBS graduate, is British (Scottish) born, danced with LFB (now ENB) before moving on to the Australian Ballet and SFB where he was a principal at both.  

Weblink for Relay here.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Should perhaps point out (as a matter of local interest) that there are a couple of Joffrey dancers who might be familiar to some BcoF readers: ...YOSHIHISA ARAI danced many roles with Janet's favourite Northern Ballet and AARON SMYTH danced with the RB during 2012 - (I remember him as a stand out in the inspired Titian programme).  Why the last RB director didn't offer him a permanent RB contract as one of the final feathers in her cap is a mystery best known to her good self I think.  There is so much that even now he could shine in much as he had at ABTII.  He would have been an inspired partner for the entrancing Francesca Hayward I think - as is, of course, James Hay. You can see Smyth dance a brief pas de deux segment with Claudia Dean (also Australian and late of the RB) here.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

Why the last RB director didn't offer him a permanent RB contract as one of the final feathers in her cap is a mystery best known to her good self I think.

I seem to remember she didn't want to tread on the toes of the incoming director, so to speak. I can't remember whether she took on anybody new that summer. But thanks for the reminder: every time *I* recall Aaron I keep seeing him on pony clean-up duty in Fille, so your image is far preferable! It's certainly a shame that he had to move on, but it was only a temporary contract, as I understand.

I seem to remember she didn't want to tread on the toes of the incoming director, so to speak. I can't remember whether she took on anybody new that summer.

Three from the RBS + Nicol Edmonds from the Finnish National Ballet

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/1474-press-release-royal-ballet-promotions-joiners-and-leavers/

Edited by Bluebird

Yes, and the boy can tap too ..... One might think he'd be a mad hatter made so to speak ... not unlike a certain other magnificent Aussie whose glory we can (and still do) celebrate at the ROH.  Smyth's evidence on the tap score is here.  Don't know how old he is there but It's obviously in Australia.  (Also don't think those few extra inches in the legs would have gone amiss either in terms of partnering and/or the adagio lines.)  

Edited by Bruce Wall