does any one know of any ballet dvds ?

LOUISE

Hi,

I need help to improve my daughters ballet training- is there a DVD any one knows of that could help her? She is a teen and is starting dance again and wants a DVD to help her at home- as well as dance school.

Many thanks,

LOUISE

The Ballet Companion is a lovely book.

Just be slightly careful when practising unsupervised at home, in case a step or exercise is being practised incorrectly. "Practice makes permanent" is much more accurate than "practice makes perfect" when it comes to Ballet IMHO, so the last thing you want is to be practicing something wrongly over and over again without correction, in case you are getting into bad habits.

Simple exercises prescribed by a physio or teacher may be done safely at home (but even these should be checked periodically to ensure that they are still being done correctly).

• Like 5

Just be slightly careful when practising unsupervised at home, in case a step or exercise is being practised incorrectly. "Practice makes permanent" is much more accurate than "practice makes perfect" when it comes to Ballet IMHO, so the last thing you want is to be practicing something wrongly over and over again without correction, in case you are getting into bad habits.

Simple exercises prescribed by a physio or teacher may be done safely at home (but even these should be checked periodically to ensure that they are still being done correctly).

Absolultely agree!  Ballet needs to be supervised.

• Like 2

Have to agree . I would be very,very careful about practicing ballet at home. Even if you have a mirror and barre to practise in front of. Makes no difference. Professional ballet dancers do not take daily class in their own homes. They take it in a studio with,if not other dancers, then at least with a qualified instructor. Watch on You Tube Royal Ballet Live, which shows at the start the RB taking their daily class at Covent Garden. Listen to how many corrections the teacher gives out. And this is to dancers who are Le Creme De La Creme.!

• Like 1

Have to agree . I would be very,very careful about practicing ballet at home. Even if you have a mirror and barre to practise in front of. Makes no difference. Professional ballet dancers do not take daily class in their own homes. They take it in a studio with,if not other dancers, then at least with a qualified instructor. Watch on You Tube Royal Ballet Live, which shows at the start the RB taking their daily class at Covent Garden. Listen to how many corrections the teacher gives out. And this is to dancers who are Le Creme De La Creme.!

Absolultely agree!  Ballet needs to be supervised.

Yes I understand- just simple exercises. Many thanks- much appreciated.

• Like 1

Rather than doing ballet at home Louise, perhaps your dd could do some simple strengthening exercises which help ballet.  There are Darcey Bussel's Pilates books and DVDs or New York City Ballet workout DVDs and I am sure there are many others out there too.

ok thanks - sounds interesting !