How to find a ballet teacher

anneeliz

Hmmm. That's a tricky one. Dds old dance school doesn't even have a website but has got several children into vocational schools in the past.

However that isn't the be all & end all. Many schools gave excellent teachers & children but perhaps they just don't want to go off at 11 or 16, or can't afford to or whatever. Even things like Assiciates & EYB etc, its only the affluent who can really afford that.

I would look for a school with good teaching who encourage those that want to, to look for opportunities & offers a variety if classes at the right level.

• Like 1

Have you done google search of local newspaper. Some of local schools near have had achievements reported in paper. As mentioned its not only indicator of a good school. I'd recommend making sure registered with one of dance organisation eg RAD, IDTA, ISTD etc. I know IDTA schools are listed on their website

• Like 1

Wherever you choose I would recommend asking to watch a class before you start. This should tell you a lot but if you need to know what are the kinds of things to look out for I am sure many can offer advice. I personally would also want to know that the teachers were CRB checked (most should be if members of main teaching bodies). Some schools also have a safeguarding policy but not all as they may refer the exam board which the teachers are registered with who are likely to have one.

• Like 1

I would check that the school teaches the advanced vocational exams and offers enough classes, both syllabus and non-syllabus. As others have said before on this forum, your DD will need to be doing a lot of hours of ballet a week if she is to have any chance of getting into vocational school at 16. If the school can only offer her a couple of lessons a week at the appropriate level then that's not going to be enough and you will have to find a second school to give her enough hours. Why not ask the principal directly whether she prepares students for auditions for vocational school at 16? You don't want your DD to waste a couple of years in a school which cannot provide suitable training and then have to move her to another school. If your DD is serious about a career in ballet then you might as well be upfront and say this when you speak to the school principal.

Edited by aileen
  • Like 2