BRB - End of season announcements 2014

I've not paid much attention to promotions in previous years as I haven't really followed any particular dancers long enough for it to be relevant. I'm surprised, though, to see no mention of Maureya Lebowitz or Céline Gittens in the press release. With Céline debuting as O/O in Swan Lake a short while ago and Maureya taking the lead in Fille, I thought they were a shoo-in for a nudge up the ladder this time? Certainly the chatter on here has been of the expectation that Céline would be a principal eventually.

Edited by BristolBillyBob
  • Like 1

I thought Gittens' Odette/Odile debut was a couple of years ago by now? 

Crikey, so it was! Which makes it all the more surprising (to me) that she's remained a soloist since 2011. I guess that a company can't simply promote on merit, there needs to be space at the top and budgetary considerations too. Otherwise BRB would have 58 principals. ;)

• Like 2

I thought Gittens' Odette/Odile debut was a couple of years ago by now? 

Anyway, congratulations to all the promotees, if there is such a word.

Of course there is such a word Alison - I made it up years ago!!

Re Celine:  I too believe she should be a principal by now.  The trouble is there are so many people deserving IMHO promotion that it must be really hard to select the promotees within the budget available.

Surely Mathias Dingman and Maureya Lebowitz should also have been promoted. 

But as B3 says, if everyone I thought should be promoted was promoted BRB would be a company consisting entirely of principal dancers!

Edited by Janet McNulty
Edited to add final 2 sentences
  • Like 2

I agree that all these promotees (if this is not a word it should be) all well deserving of their advancement.  On a personal level I am particularly pleased about Samara Downs and Brandon Lawrence as both of these dancers have really impressed me this past season.  

However, my first thought was 'gosh, money is tight - no new principals'.  As well as the people already mentioned there is Mathias Dingman and there seems to be a real bottleneck of talent waiting to ascend the peerage as it were.  I think this could become a real problem when you have extremely able dancers, some with real star quality like Celine, who may seek opportunities elsewhere. This is a problem with lots of companies from time to time but BRB do seem to have almost an embarrassment of riches at the moment.  

I would like to finish with special mention for Kit Holder.  I am glad that he has been recognised, not only for his own merits but it does show that the company still values character artists and that should be welcomed

Congratulations to all the successful dancers and may there be a bit more leeway next year.

• Like 1

On a personal level I am particularly pleased about Samara Downs and Brandon Lawrence as both of these dancers have really impressed me this past season.  

I would like to finish with special mention for Kit Holder.  I am glad that he has been recognised, not only for his own merits but it does show that the company still values character artists and that should be welcomed

Agree 100% with Samara. I really enjoyed her performances in Grand Tour and Giselle when I saw them. And it's nice to see them nurturing Kit Holder - as much as anything, I'm thinking Bintley doesn't want to see such a promising and eager choreographer go elsewhere.

re: promotee, Janet I don't think you can take credit it for it, unless you were around in the 18th century :

promotee, n.
Pronunciation:  Brit. /prəˌməʊˈtiː/ , U.S. /prəˌmoʊˈti/
Etymology:  < promote v. + -ee suffix1.
  A person who is or has been promoted.
1749   Grounds & Rudiments Law & Equity 239   Whether the king's right determines by his promotee's death?
  • Like 3