Split sole pointe shoes??

swanprincess

Just wondering what people's opinions on split sole pointe shoes are, and why would a dancer choose split sole vs full sole?! My local Dancewear shop stocks Bloch split sole pointes and I was thinking of trying a pair, but I'm not sure how they will be different to normal shoes- will the shank be more flexible etc? Are split sole pointe shoes recommended for young dancers?? Thanks x

Hi SP, I am not the most knowledgeabel on this but I believe they are aimed at professional/advanced dancers and I wouldn't go down this route unless your teacher advises that this kind of shoe is suitable. 

The shank will be more flexible and the feet will look 'prettier' - just as with split sole 'flat' ballet shoes - and that will attract many dancers. They won't give the same level of support as a full soled pointe shoe shank and I would think that most teachers would be horrified to think that their young students were wearing split sole pointe shoes. For experienced dancers who have strong pointe technique, maybe - just as experienced dancers make all manner of adjustments to their pointe shoes.

I can see the attraction in using deshanked or soft (if available) split sole pointe shoes for the non-pointe section of the RAD vocational exams from intermediate upwards, because as I said above, split sole shoes are popular because they make even averagely-arched feet look 'prettier'. I know DD's vocational examiner teacher's view is that just because something can be done (ie split sole pointe shoes can now be worn) does not mean that it should be done ;) although of course split soles are now allowed and this has no effect on the marks achieved in the RAD vocational exams.

If I'm right in this, it is only the outer sole that is actually a split sole and the shank itself, inside the shoe, is still complete? So it's not going to make a massive difference but you will lose some support. I do know some people use tools to cut the outer soles of their shoes to help them get over the box so maybe this is the equivalent? Personally I wouldn't like to see younger dancers doing this or wearing these shoes without my (or their own teachers) guidance.