Grade 3 Tap

Lemongirl

Thought I would get some good advice here!

My middle dd has just started tap classes.  Like her sister, she's done ballet for a long time but (unlike her sister!) is going off ballet a bit and is more suited to other dance styles.

I have found her a lovely class where they do 45 mins each of tap and modern.  She's enjoying the modern very much (done a little before) but is finding the tap very hard.  The teacher says she'll be fine in the class and it will take a while for her to catch up.

However unfortunately she also wants to do a 5 week creative writing course which is on the same night as the dance class.  We've been paying per class so far and they are happy for her to start properly in September.

Is there anything she can do in the meantime to retain what she's learnt so far so she doesn't go in from scratch again in September?  I'm pretty sure it is ISTD.

Quite often dancers who already do ballet will be in one grade higher for modern than they are for tap. There will probably be other new starters in the tap class anyway come September, and as Fit and float says, perhaps the teacher has a dvd she could borrow.

I think tap's quite hard to just pick up in a later grade. The basics really need to be learnt even if it's just by going to a lower grade class for a while or having a few private lessons.

• Like 4

Grade 3 is extremely hard to be starting in . DD tap teacher would not let anyone start tap in any other class than primary / grade 1 in special circumstances , especially with the new grades of ISTD being so hard . I would say the new grade 3 is the equivalent to the old grade 5/6 .

• Like 1

I've said this before: ISTD tap is *hard*, even at the lower grades. My DD's teacher does allow people to start at a higher grade but those students don't, I think, take exams.

2littledancers, what do you think the new Grade 4 is equivalent to? It looks as if my DD will be in this grade for five terms.

I think 5 terms / 18 months sounds about right . Pretty much the same as my DD dance school . I would hazard a guess grade 4 is approx old elementary standard ! God I'm showing my age . Really goes to show how much the new grades have bought the children's tap on . My DD is in grade 4 at 10 , I'm sure in the oldendays elementary students were 13/14 ish .