Student Finance 2014/2015

madhatter

New to all this and feel a bit out of the loop.  We have been living outside of the Uk for the last 6 years and my DD has been accepted in 2 schools, not sure yet which one is the favourite. My question is where do i find out the information for student finance and does anyne know if she would be considered a British student or an EU student. Due to circumstances the whole family is planning to return to the UK this summer.

You need to have been resident in the UK for 3 years before being eligible to apply for student finance I think. Check www.gov.uk and follow the links for eligibility and it has full details there. They are also very helpful if you call them for clarification.

For student finance through the government loans system I would imagine your DD will be counted as an English student due to her nationality if her normal home address is in the UK by the time her course starts - you may need that UK address before the application can be fully processed.  It is different for England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland though so it does depend where you live. And I may be wrong in that assumption but it is how I interpret the criteria for eligibility,

It also depends on the school your DD will attend.  Only certain schools allow student finance - the others have the DADAs (dance and drama awards).  And if the school is in England or Scotland.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/overview I think in your circumstances you may need to speak to someone on the help line for clarification but that link should give you all the details you need.

Thanks for that. I will get my husband ( he is living in England now) to phone one of the help lines for clarification, we have always held onto our English permanent address and the courses she has been offered are in HND status schools.

Hi Madhatter we are also abroad so have been looking into this. If your DD is resident in an EU country and has been there for the last 3 years she can apply as an EU student. However, she can only get Fees for this, no mainenance. If she has been resident in the UK at all, ie. if you have claimed child benefit for her she can apply as English and get fees and maintenance. If she applies as an EU student and needs a loan to help with maintenance she can apply to banks in your country of residence since as long as she has been there for three years she has the same rights to student finance as the citizens of that country. If she has been awarded a DADA then she has the same rights as all EU citizens ie. it is no different than if she was living in the UK so depending in the household income she may be awarded maintnence or not but only if the income is below70k. If she is going to a college in Scotland and has been resident outside the UK for longer than three years she will again get fees but just like Scottish students she does not need to pay them back. Phew! I hope this helps.

Dramascientist

• Like 1

Just one other thing - has your husband been living in the UK long and, if so, has your daughter been visiting him (not sure if he's your DD's dad!)? I don't know whether that makes a difference over here; I know it does in Germany for our German ward when she applies for uni.

Thank you Dramascientist and Regattah, we will look into our options, my husband (and dd's dad) only returned to the Uk in November and we are waiting for the school year to finish before we all return.  We are in Spain by the way.  I read on one of the Scottish finance websites that the EU rules apply if the parents aren't English, but maybe I misunderstood that. 

Hi Madhatter we are also abroad so have been looking into this. If your DD is resident in an EU country and has been there for the last 3 years she can apply as an EU student. However, she can only get Fees for this, no mainenance. If she has been resident in the UK at all, ie. if you have claimed child benefit for her she can apply as English and get fees and maintenance. If she applies as an EU student and needs a loan to help with maintenance she can apply to banks in your country of residence since as long as she has been there for three years she has the same rights to student finance as the citizens of that country. If she has been awarded a DADA then she has the same rights as all EU citizens ie. it is no different than if she was living in the UK so depending in the household income she may be awarded maintnence or not but only if the income is below70k. If she is going to a college in Scotland and has been resident outside the UK for longer than three years she will again get fees but just like Scottish students she does not need to pay them back. Phew! I hope this helps.

Dramascientist

It helps me, thank you dramascientist!