tired dd

ballemum

Hi all I havent been on here for a while but I need some help. My dd who is 14 who has always loved her dancing seems quite flat at the moment. She seems tired and teacher said she doesnt seem to be working as hard as normal over the last three weeks. Problem is she has her adv foundation exam in three weeks.

Do you think it is just her age or have you any tips on foods or anything that may hèlp.

Thank you in advance

My DD (15)  is exhausted and like yours a bit "flat" at the moment.

I think it's just fatigue with all the work and unrelenting classes. I got her Floradix tonic and it has helped a little.

Maybe as the exam draws closer adrenaline will kick in and she will pick up again.

I worry so much about my DD and the huge time and commitment she puts into her dancing. She has practically no social life and has given up so many parties and trips to go to class or her dance group. I know it can get her down sometimes but she insists it is what she wants.She has just this year started her period and that doesn't help as she gets very ratty and tired beforehand.

Sorry I am not being terribly helpful but just to let you know you are not alone!

• Like 1

Been there and got the tee shirt. I found with my daughters that flat/ratty times centred round exams, academic or dance, periods and coursework deadlines. Another could be if one had had an unpleasant day at school or a bad class. I think all you can do is grit your teeth, offer sympathy or advice if your dcs will accept it and pray that this too will pass. Sorry not to be more helpful. It isn't easy.

• Like 3

School teachers are definitely getting stressy! There are so many stress related illnesses at work at the moment - I've never seen so many supply teachers around! 

My advice would be to take a couple of days break. Rest, relax, pamper, spend some mum-daughter time together. A few days rest is not going to have a negative affect on her dancing (contrary to what people might believe) and the rest will help rejuvenate her.

• Like 4

I would also advise a bit of rest and pamper time - even if it is just an evening watching a film, having a soak in the bath - anything that is a break from the stress of everyday routine.

General - make sure she gets an occasional early night and try and up her fruit intake or try a vitamin supplement just for a few weeks if the flatness is because she is getting a overtired and a little rundown.

But yes it will pass and there's loads of us on here know exactly how you are feeling.

• Like 1

I've come to realise how important time out is for them. As 2dancersmum said 'time out and pampering. Gave dd the day off yesterday and we went to the beach (easy to do living in Sydney but hardly ever get there)

seeing a nutritionist was also a good thing to do this helped the whole family looking at portion sizes, eating the right snacks, right combination of carb and protein -this has also taught her a lot about food, exercise etc for when she is on her own.

• Like 2

Thank you all for your advice. My dd loves exams usually and yes she is doing lots of tests at school and is taking her option at the moment. So I yes I suppose there is a lot going on at the moment.

Her dance teacher knows she wants to audition for schools at 16 so im not sure if she is starting to feel a pressure from her aswell.

She has always been good at coping with a lot going on.maybe its me and im not used to seeing her when she is not.

Perhaps you could find out from your dd if there is a particular teacher/subject causing more stress than the others, and let that teacher know what else your dd is doing at the moment, and that her ultimate ambition is a career in dance.

If the school is aware of her extra-curricular commitments they may well be a little more understanding of the situation and ease off the pressure a bit. 

multi-vitamins are good and lots of fruit and veg too for energy  

it would be a good idea talk to your dd and see how she feels and what she might be stressed about and how she's feeling

maybe you could arrange some mother-daughter activities or see if she can go out with her friends and let her relax as dancing can be stressful and exams even more so and she needs to find time to just chill out and sometimes just feel like a 'normal' person

• Like 3

Hi i would agree with the nutrition comment what they eat/drink has a huge impact on energy levels and body performance. i am forever reminding my dd to drink as between school and dancing (which is everyday) its so easy for them to forget to or grab that quick "sugar" rush snack. As well all those massive body changes they are going through at this time. One min happy smiling, then snappy angry, then tears & upset. I'm wore out just watching it. Good nutrition rest and cuddles - good luck with your dd exam keep us posted

Hi i would agree with the nutrition comment what they eat/drink has a huge impact on energy levels and body performance. i am forever reminding my dd to drink as between school and dancing (which is everyday) its so easy for them to forget to or grab that quick "sugar" rush snack. As well all those massive body changes they are going through at this time. One min happy smiling, then snappy angry, then tears & upset. I'm wore out just watching it. Good nutrition rest and cuddles - good luck with your dd exam keep us posted

• Like 1