Kings of the Dance

this is wandering way off the topic of this thread,but Ratmansky is not doing a new work for NBOC; NBOC is acquiring his Tempest, which he created for ABT (in co-production with NBOC).

Thanks, Katherine, as ever.  

Just wondering ... if NBoC enters into a co-production with the RB (say Alice or Winter's Tale) or with ABT (The Tempest) does that not still make it 'new' ... given that they were - from inception - one of the original producing partners???  Or can it ONLY be called 'new' when the original production is 'in situ'?   This may, of course, just be a semantic debate.  

Edited by Meunier

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm not sure: I could have sworn I was sitting in the front stalls at the Theatre Royal, but perhaps my memory deceives me.  OTOH, could I possibly have forgotten Tsiskaridze in "Paganini"?  It sound unlikely.

Alison, at Theatre Royal Drury Lane in 2001 the Bolshoi did not show any full ballets. They brought three programmes:

25 Apr - 3 May. Swan Lake, Act 2 + Divertissement

4-10 May. Les Sylphides + Divertissement

11-19 May. Kingdom of Shades + Divertissement

I strongly disagreed with the critics who wrote abysmal reviews on that tour. It was a miscalculation of the impresarios who chose to show THREE double-bill programmes for 3 weeks, and this format did not appeal to the public. The venue also wasn’t particularly appropriate as it had been associated usually with musicals for decades. Hence very poor tickets sale and lack of enthusiasm. I enjoyed those performances because the quality of dancing was high. Thanks to the Divertissement we could see every night Lunkina, Stepanenko, Alexandrova, Allash, Antonicheva, Petrova, Kaptsova, Goriacheva, Filin, Uvarov, Gudanov, Godovsky, Yanin. For my eyes it was a feast of dance.

Tsiskaridze didn’t come on that 2001 tour due to an injury in a traffic accident although his poster as Albert, in a leap, was adorning the columns of Theatre Royal for 3 weeks. You, Alison, could see him as Paganini at the Coliseum in 1999.

Edited for typo.

Edited by Amelia