Big Toe Blisters

Dancingdreams

I know its an on-going problem for many dancers.. but are they any tips on how to avoid/treat them?? 

My DS does alot of contemporary in bare feet..  and its his big toes that suffer.  He has tried using surgical spirit..but trouble is just when the blisters start to heal.. he can often then have another intensive period where he is in bare feet and the cycle starts again.  

He cant really strap them with plasters, etc. as this doesnt look very professional.. he doesnt moan and just gets on with it..  but I know they give him some discomfort.. but is it just an 'occupational hazard'!!??

There is a product you can buy that looks like a lipsalve that you just rub over the spot and it is supposed to stop blisters forming.  DD noticed a friend who trained overseas using it, who never seems that plagued by blisters and decided to try it for herself.   I know she found it in Boots but not what it is called so I'll ask next time she phones, I'll ask and get back to you.  It was definitely in the footcare section of Boots though .

Edited by 2dancersmum

looking forward to the answers for this one as at this moment all four toes on my Dd's foot have been skinned and as she has a bare foot performance coming up they just keep getting deeper instead of healing. She has very sensitive feet and have done the surgical spirit and wears foot thongs,  but still the blisters keep coming. As a child she had to wear socks in the summer with her sandals and can't wear toe post sandals. :unsure:

x

DD says it was called Blister Block and came from Boots.  Compeed also do a version but that is more expensive.  DD has only been using it for a couple of weeks for contemporary class but says her feet have been a lot better.  It was the top of her feet that were suffering more than her toes.

• Like 1

The tops of the feet do suffer in contemporary don't they? Especially for dancers with very high arches, they seem to scrape along the floor more than straight feet - my dd often gets 'carpet burn' type grazes.

edited for rubbish spelling

Edited by taxi4ballet

There are also those divided toe socks you can buy with non slip bottoms......they are either a complete sock or the ends of the toes are exposed so like a half sock. Ive worn these for contemporary but am only at beg/ plus level.

Could it be okay to wear some split sole ballet shoes for classes and go back to bare feet for rehearsals and shows?