Photos and posters

There are some fantastic ballet photos to be seen on the internet - I particularly admire Enrico Nawrath and Gene Schiavone's work, and at the moment on Facebook the 'New Georgian Ballet' page is putting up some real crackers.  At various times I've searched in vain for good quality large posters of the likes of Polina Semionova, Zakharova et al to frame and put in the home gym, and for gallery-quality photo prints for the house.  Nawrath has a book out but hasn't responded to enquiries about purchasing prints, and Gene Schiavone is printing a couple of photos for sale, but not necessarily his best in my opinion.  The posters I've seen are just of the cheesy generic Athena type.  Similarly, I'd love to get my hands on the full size posters used to advertise ROH performances on the Underground - did manage to get a complimentary copy of the Bolshoi one with Vasiliev/Osipova, but it was half size and sent to me folded :(       Any suggestions?

As an aside, just got the Natalia Osipova - Becoming A Swan book and am not particularly impressed with the photography, much of which seems rather amateurish.

You can still buy posters from the ROH shop but they are smaller than the full-sized Underground posters. Their range is quite limited at the moment so I do hope they issue more posters soon as dd wants a "Romeo & Juliet" one for her wall.

I love Dave Morgan's ballet photography; there's a beautiful clarity and sharpness to his photos. It would be great to be able to buy poster sized images!

For photos of ENB have a look at Photography by Ash; they get some stunning photos - I especially love their on-stage photos taken from the wings.

I don't know if Ty Singleton sells his BRB photographs but they are absolutely STUNNING.

Also for BRB, Tim Cross and Phil Hitchman have superb photographs.

Martin Bell has done some superb photographs for Northern Ballet.

Re posters, sometimes at the end of a run, theatres just dispose of the posters.  You may be able to source some that way.

You can still buy posters from the ROH shop but they are smaller than the full-sized Underground posters. Their range is quite limited at the moment so I do hope they issue more posters soon as dd wants a "Romeo & Juliet" one for her wall.

I bought a R&J poster from the ROH online shop about a year ago, it seems strange to stop selling them when R&J has just been put on again.

• Like 1

Similarly, I'd love to get my hands on the full size posters used to advertise ROH performances on the Underground - did manage to get a complimentary copy of the Bolshoi one with Vasiliev/Osipova, but it was half size and sent to me folded :(       Any suggestions?

You could try eBay - quite a few posters are offered but generally they're the same size as the ones in the ROH shop.  Another member of this forum (Scaramouche) is a collector of the outdoor-size posters and he sometimes sells items from his collection.  Why don't you try him - he might be able to help you. (hope this doesn't contravene any rules).

Edited by loveclassics

I bought a R&J poster from the ROH online shop about a year ago, it seems strange to stop selling them when R&J has just been put on again.

Weird, isn't it! I emailed the shop a few weeks ago and they suggested I call in "nearer the time".