JA Uniform

Snape

Sorry maybe silly question about uniform. (and a bit boring) just want to sort everything out so I can put it all away into a neat draw for September.

The belt, it is big enough to go around child twice. How short should I trim it? Do I put a press stud first, where the belt first meets and the hook and eye further on right at the end? Should I fold over and stich the ends to make it neater?

How long should the hair ribbons be? They are quite long. Do I tie them around the top of the pigtail before I then loop round the plaits and put a net over it?

Thank you!

Were are your JA lessons? If Bristol- don't worry about the belt as the teacher prefers the ordinary elastic navy belt.

I made 2 ribbons for my DD out of what I received. But in my DDs class everyone has got slightly different lengths

I think most JAs make pre-tied ribbons on hairgrips which they just put in after doing the plaits. I was always worried these might fall out so I cut the length of ribbon into two pieces, used a match to seal the ends to stop them fraying then after I had put dds hair into two ponytails I tied the ribbons securely round each one but only with a knot leaving then ends hanging. Then paited hair, crossed pined and covered with net finally tying end of ribbon into bows. Hope this answers your question.

• Like 1

It actually 10 years since my dd started JAs but I think I cut the belt so that there was a 4/5 inch overlap, sealed the ends with a match. I used a skirt hook & bar - this sort of thing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRYM-2-HOOK-AND-BAR-2-PIECE-BNIP-NICKEL-SILVER-12mm-TROUSER-SKIRT-FASTENER-/320967180468#ht_3864wt_905

then a press-stud on the inside to hold the overlaping bits together.

Hope that is clear.

Hi Taximom,  Thanks for the idea, but I live in the middle of know where ( there is no gas in our valley) I have an open fire. There is a lot of lightening tonight though, the plug socket just exploded. I best go sort that out.

• Like 3

Hello abitworn out,

They are quite big. I ordered  age 7-8 for my 9 nearly 10 year old and it is still quite big on her (she is very small though). I surpose they are sized for both girls and boys, or normal sized non ballet children.

I also ordered the track suit bottoms in the same size, they are huge, will just about get away with it. They are about the right lenght but have quite wide legs.

You can ring the place up and they were really helpfull.

• Like 4

My dd's local dance school uniform has a pull over the head sweatshirt. Pulling it on and off trying not to disturb her hair became like a military exercise and by the time we'd managed to wrestle it off she did look like she had been dragged through a hedge backwards!(and a little red of face because I think the neck was a little small so I really had to pull and virtually drag her around the room to get it off :-) ) Needless to say dd stopped wearing it.She is looking forward to getting the ja zip up one.

Hi there,

I'm curious about the size of the hoodies and tracksuit bottoms too.  My daughter is 10, but is 4'9" so I was thinking about ordering her an age 11 in both.  Will this be too big for her? 

Thanks.

Sorry maybe silly question about uniform. (and a bit boring) just want to sort everything out so I can put it all away into a neat draw for September.

The belt, it is big enough to go around child twice. How short should I trim it? Do I put a press stud first, where the belt first meets and the hook and eye further on right at the end? Should I fold over and stich the ends to make it neater?

How long should the hair ribbons be? They are quite long. Do I tie them around the top of the pigtail before I then loop round the plaits and put a net over it?

Thank you!

Hi Snape we were shown re plaits and ribbons to cut the length into 4 so we had 2 spare, then to cut a v at the end of each ribbon, they are then threaded through a hair grip and tied into a very neat bow, the grip is then able to be popped into the base of your plait on each side of the head.

Re waist band, round waist once and hook and eyes fastened at the back of belt.

Good luck

Ax

Hello, dd's uniform arrived today so I thought I'd post some measurements to help anyone about to order.I ordered age 11 and I received top and bottoms age 9-11 to fit height 140cm. The bottoms are elasticated at the ankle and have an inside leg of 24 inches and measure 32 inches from waistband to bottom of trouser leg when measured down front(trousers designed to be finish elasticated at ankles) , the waist is fully elasticated and is about 21/22 inches at its smallest. The zip up top measures approx 18 inches across front from armpit to armpit, 23 1/2 inches from nape of neck to bottom of jacket and 18 inches under the arm.My dd is 10 and about 141cm tall inside leg 26 1/2 to floor (not to ankle) waist about 20 and although outfit is roomy width ways The length looks about right (wouldn't want to go any smaller) Hope this is of help to anyone who is ordering x