Boston Ballet, London, June 2013

Yes, I wasn't too keen on the topless aspect of Bella Figura either but I thought that that was because I am a bit of a prude! I saw a comment somewhere on Twitter remarking that the nudity warning would not need to be given in Europe. I had to put my binoculars away during Bella Figura as I did not want to look like a perv!

• Like 1

Interesting. It really didn't feel like 'nudity' to me, just dancers in costumes that didn't include tops, men and woman alike. Paired with the 'mirror dance bit' where a male and female dancer perform exactly the same steps, this is first ballet I have seen that plays successfully with gender stereotypes by literally treating dancers the same (at times).

But then I'm European and possibly naturally immune to other people's nudity ;)

• Like 2

I can only endorse Dave's comments, there is more visual excitement in the way the skirts moved in Bella Figura than the bare chests of both kinds.  Do the objectors never go to an art gallery or see photographs in all the media.  Well done Boston, come back soon.

• Like 1

I worry that the dancers feel they have to do it, regardless of whether they feel comfortable.

This is the crucial bit (perhaps for another thread now?).  Do dancers have an opt-out if it bothers them?  We are confronted with images of topless females constantly in this country, to the extent that it is generally no longer considered indecent, but I have heard of dancers being distressed that it is required of them.   

Edited after seeing the most recent posts: I take the point about the skirts being the main focus and the athletic form of both male and female dancers.  However, in a picture, the moment is fixed, the image enhanced by the painter or photographer and ultimately his vision.  In the theatre, the performer does not have the same level of control.  

Maybe it just boils down to some men feeling differently from some women about watching topless women live, a gut instinct that it's unbalanced and should not be accepted unquestioningly.  Rant over!

Edited by Grand Tier Left
  • Like 2

A little belated personal thoughts on the Boston Ballet programs of last week... The week has been hot and busy...

Choreographic highlights:

- Bella Figura byJiri Kylian

Only my third experience with Kylian's work (after 27'52'' and Petite Mort), his choreography feeds now organically through me and I think his language is becoming clearer and more beautiful to my eyes. I recognise elements of his vocabulary, his ability to create a stunning atmosphere on stage through expert lighting, breathtaking costumes (the red japanesy skirts are gorgeous), and his use of drapes and black curtains that split the action on the stage..

The army of bare-chested dancers (both female and male dancers indeed dance topless) didn't shock me at all. It was most likely his view to put men and women on an equal foot aesthetically and present the dancing bodies as such.

I also loved the baroque music by Marcello, Vivaldi...

- The Second Detail by Forsythe

Wow. Crisp, playful, extremely precise and coordinated. It felt almost experimental and beautifully strong and orchestrated. I loved it.

- Serenade by Balanchine

It was created for Balanchine's first American students in 1934.

Whereas I find myself sometimes under-moved by pieces by Balanchine like Jewels, Serenade has transported me with its freshness and evocative mood. There is of course no narrative but it feels extremely atmospheric. The ensemble choreography was superb and complex with dancers detaching from the group to perform individual parts, then regrouping with new dancers. The mystery was captivating.

About the dancers of the ballet, I must say I was impressed by the amazing quality of the dancers! So refreshing and projecting so much energy.

Personal favourites were Jeffrey Cirio, Lia Cirio, Bo Busby and the young Dusty Button.

They should definitely tour in London more often!!

Thanks for 2 beautiful evenings!

Edited by Mayerling79
  • Like 2