Russian second position

Thecatsmother

In my spare time I have been watching a lot of material on the Russian second position and the promotional material on 'secrets of russian ballet'. Interested to hear people's thoughts on this especially those who are physiotherapists. I know the Russian system selects children with ample turn out but curious as to how this can be applied in the UK in non vocational schools where flat turnout is not a prerequisite. I get the concept but am curious re injury risk for those encouraged to work in this way without a great deal of natural turn out.

If you're referring to Eric Conrad's Secrets of Russian Ballet, this is not considered a valid method of training. If you look on the Ballet Talk website (hope that's OK, moderators!) you will find a hardly glowing discussion of his teaching method.

As an adult I have a weekly Russian class where I live and there is absolutely no suggestion of forcing turnout for us we work with what is comfortable for us. There are always alternative suggestions if the older or less experienced need to modify an exercise as well. The teacher is very mindful,of our knees.

Well second position of the legs is the same but perhaps in training for younger people they force the turn out more....I don't know really perhaps it's a flat turned out second position?

Something like a developpe to second is taken much further to the side and focus upon standing with feet flat turned out. If you look at any of the vaganova students on you tube especially the younger students this should illustrate as you can see them beginning to master the positions.