Ballet Cymru - Romeo and Juliet

ITV Wales has released a short video feature with rehearsal footage from Ballet Cymru's new production of Romeo and Juliet.  It looks absolutely intriguing.

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/update/2013-05-12/ballet-cymru-puts-a-welsh-stamp-on-romeo-and-juliet/

I hope if anyone sees this production they will post there thoughts here for us.

The company is touring this production of Romeo and Juliet and MSND this Spring.  Here is a link to the tour dates:

http://www.welshballet.co.uk/tour-dates/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Spanner do go and see this as you are in for a treat!  In this production the scenery and costumes are very simple - a bed, a balcony and the slab where the 'dead' Juliet is laid and all the emphasis goes on the dancing and the emotion.  Emily Pimm Edwards made a great Juliet - beautiful dancing and so expressive that you could understand every nuance of Juliet's feelings.  There was a lot of pas de deux - excellent pairing of Emily and Daniel Morrison and breath taking to watch at times.  Daisuke Miura showed all the character in his dance of Mercutio and Sam Bishop was an impressive Tybalt.  Beautiful expressive dancing throughout - a story without frills that was so moving.  I thought this a superb production and a final nod to the Welsh Clog dancing - so nicely integrated into the ballet.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well I must say I really enjoyed it. Very atmospheric thanks to the lighting which threw giant shadows on the wall either side of the stage. The choreography is very Contemporary-based which took some getting used to as I'm used to the MacMillan R&J, and the sets and costumes are very modern (in fact the costumes were my least favourite part of the production).

Juliet's dress for the ball consisted of her nightie with the addition of some blue shirts cut up to make an overskirt, Lady Capulet was sporting a dressing gown/trench coat in every scene and Juliet's Friend had a miniature cloak made out of a denim mini-skirt which kept flapping in her face as she danced. It annoyed me so it must have been very irritating for the dancer!

We had mixed feelings on the Welsh Clog Dancing during the Dance of the Knights; I enjoyed it but dd said that the piece of music is so majestic that the clog dancing didn't match it.

We were both incredibly impressed with both the dancing and acting - Juliet (Emily Pimm Edwards) was so expressive; her joy during the balcony pdd and her mental exhaustion, fear and anguish were palpable. She really was outstanding. Loved Daniel Morrison as Romeo and Sam Bishop as a tall, imposing and aggressive Tybalt. More excellent acting from Iselin Bowen as Lady Capulet.

With only eleven or so dancers Romeo & Juliet must be a difficult ballet to produce but several dancers had multiple parts and they all worked their socks off.

So - we disliked the costumes (sorry) and the theatre was only half full but I hope the small audience managed to convey its appreciation with hearty applause because the acting and dancing was fabulous. My first time seeing Ballet Cymru but it definitely won't be the last.

• Like 3

Sad to hear the theatre was only half full. All these touring companies (especially the UK ones!)  need as much support as possible. Apart from being worthwhile viewing anyway (and there are lovely dancers in Ballet Cymru) by supporting them we are ensuring possible future work for young dancers currently in training.

• Like 3

Just got back from watching Romeo and Juliet in Newbury, very happy to report a full house.

It was an amazing performance, both dd and her friend were mesmerised! What a fantastic small company they are, all with a huge amount of talent.

I liked the costumes as I felt they complimented the choreography.

Will be looking out for another opportunity to watch them soon.

• Like 2